Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: do you fish?
no-its terrible 2 3.77%
no-but i dont mind others doing it 9 16.98%
yes-but catch and release only 20 37.74%
yes-nothing says dinner like goldies aunt 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
as an aquarist do you also fish?

or do you see fishing wrong and inhumane.

i used to fish when i was younger, when they fed us that crap that they cant feel the hook in their mouth. also alot of fishers ring their catches by the gills through the fish's mouth, or take photos of the fish, holding them by their gills. as well as just letting them suffocate and flop around

so i was wondering if aa members fished, or if they saw if as wrong, them being aquarist

i do find it hard for someone who is an aquarist, to bring home his catch into the kitchen, and whisper to their goldfish "im gonna eat your cousin tonight"

but thats just me

Old 07-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I go fishing every now and then...but its always catch and release. And being a girl, I can't bait my own hook or take the fish off...and I don't catch much, so its all good. It is sad though...I don't like seeing the hook through their mouths. Alot of people down here fish, including my ex-boyfriend, my brother and another guy i dated. I don't make a hobby out of it though.

I don't eat fish...or any seafood, but I never have, even before I started keeping fish.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing says tasty like fresh lake trout out of Lake Superior. I catch and release 100%, but I don't like cleaning fish, so I usually just appreciate the good fortunes of my buddies.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:02 AM   #4

yep. i fish. i am an all around outdoorsy type, so fishing kind of comes with the territory.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I fish as well, but only catch and release. I do enjoy fresh orange roughy and tilapia however, and eat many many Maryland Blue Crabs in the summer.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I haven't fished in years, but I did enjoy it. I don't eat fish simply because I don't like it.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Absolutely, I catch and release, but keep what I want to eat. One of the reasons I keep fish is because of the many hours I have spent fishing and diving. Seeing these creatures in their natural environment is a joy and an inspiration. IMO you will find most people who fish have a strong appreciation for fish and the natural environment, they care about pollution and water quality,they fish for the future...they keep the big fishing companies out of their waters( dragnets and so on ) We need recreational fishers, they keep our rivers and oceans clean and stop the big companies and government moving in. Our kids learn the balance of nature by fishing....teach them to enjoy what they are doing, appreciate their catch and take only what they need and they will grow up understanding what nature has to offer. Much better than plucking tins of tuna of the supermarket shelf ( we all know where that comes from )
Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
When I was a child I went fishing on a number of occasions. Though I never caught a fish I seem to recall enjoying my time out with friends and family. Presently I do not fish and do not at any type of seafood. The rationale is pretty simple. Since I don't eat fish I do not catch them. Not for sport, not for fun. However, if a friend was going fishing who ate what the caught I would consider going but would give the friend everything I caught. I do not believe in catch and release do to the seriousness of the injury sustained when a fish has been pulled in to shore via the barbed hook lodged in their jaw. Likewise, I think that once a fish has been caught it should put to rest very quickly. None of this allowing the fish to suffocate to death.

Joe
Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

i don't do fishing. but only because i think it is one of the most tedious things to do. i don't see the point in sitting around for possibly hours on end doing nothing only to throw the fish back in after it's caught. i might be missing the point though.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ky'smommy Send a message via MSN to Ky'smommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ky'smommy
oh i love fishing. i use to go with my dad all the time. and i plan on taking my kids soon.
i dont see it as boring i spent time with my dad who i usually didnt spend time with.
And yes we would keep the fish and eat if it was big enough.
And i eat all kinds of fish, seafood and ect . i love and its good.
but its not like im bringing home say one of the fish i own and eating it.

i met this guy..off a site and he told him he ate one of his discus among other things and he just loved it? Now thats cruel.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
I try to go fishing at least 5-10 times a year. Since moving to Toledo I haven't had a chance to really fish at all (not knowing the area).

I'm all catch and release unless my buddies are with me because I hate fish. They like catfish quite a bit.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I care for all my fish but I love eating fish and seafood. There's nothing like catching a meal. Not having to pay for it and feeling like you've done it yourself. If you ask me there is a certain aesthetic value to it. I do try to kill the fish as humanely as possible (no letting it flop to death on shore).
Old 07-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I fish once or twice a week. Wood_dog expressed exactly what I do and how I feel about it. I generally file down the barbs on my hooks a bit so that they don't go as deep into the fish I catch, and also try extremely hard to set the hook quickly in the lip rather than having the hook embed deeper. When I do land a fish I slowly lower them back into the water hold them to make sure they are able to swim properly before I let them go. Surprisingly I'm the one that does all the cleaning of any fish we keep for dinner (generally only around a dozen or so fish a year). I never keep more than I can eat that night.
I feel there are ways to fish and still do it humanely with full appreciation for them and "mother nature" who has provided them.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman

I catch and eat. Except on the big ones like this 42+ inches. This one is 54" We let them go so they can reporduce over and over.

Sorry about holding him by the gills, you can't really hold a 55 lb fish any other way.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #15

Wood_Dog said what I was going to say but better.

Yes I go fishing, and yes I do keep some fish for the dinner table. Most are catch and release to keep a resource around for generations to come, however fresh fish are one of those great things that should be allowed for all people to enjoy if they want to.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's nothing like eating fresh trout cooked over a fire that you caught less than an hour ago. I used to do a lot of catch and release when I was younger but barely any now. However, if I'm asked to go out on a boat or if I want to come along on an outing I'll go.
I work at an LFS..
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I fish any and every chance I get. 90% of the fish in the rivers and lakes are put there specifically for recreational and commercial fisheries so I catch and eat everything I keep the same day. Besides, my kids all love fish and like to catch them too.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
when i fished, it was always catch and release, but i never did more fishing than at the family cottages, and catching a 5" blue gill or sunfish lost its interest after so long, now i just unhook or bait my little cousins hooks

and burks, your not going to find any place to fish in toledo, i wouldnt even try the maumee river, so much crap in there. you'll have to go to lake erie, or michigan, they have has so many lakes...
Old 07-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not too fond of fish as a food source. When I was younger I fished, but I always hated it when the hook went up through their eyes or something like that. Always made me feel bad.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaJoe
I do not believe in catch and release do to the seriousness of the injury sustained when a fish has been pulled in to shore via the barbed hook lodged in their jaw. Likewise, I think that once a fish has been caught it should put to rest very quickly. None of this allowing the fish to suffocate to death.

Joe
Thats Rediculus, there is no injury to this fish during catch and release if a proper technique is used, it should be put to rest quickly, thats stupidity, why would you kill a fish you caught, theres no reason, you have your facts *** backward on fishing,

i fish, for fun/sport, and if i get a good eating fish i bring it home, if not i catch and release, without hunters/anglers, there would be no conservation of and wildlife, since we put the most money into conservation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com