ashamed of lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
i went to my pjs pets today and foung out they had started selling painted black tetras it disgusted me as soon as i saw that i left the store knowing that the manager wouldnt care. :cry:

I have been ashamed of my LFS lately too, they sell fruit tetras, painted zebra danios, and they were selling cichlids that had their tails cut off too. It makes me so mad. Doesnt painting fish cut their lifespan in half or something. Anyway, have you considered saying something to them, or making a petition or something?

Unfortunately, money talks. They can sell painted fish faster and for more money to an unaware customer.

Obviously you have not visited the fish department in a WalMart recently. They are INFAMOUS for having 'painted' fish. Truly cruel, disgusting and just plain old wrong.

Bottom line, WalMart being the only place I can buy fish/supplies locally, I feel your pain.

Best,
Joe

I have a walmart, and every time my mom goes shopping there with me, i say i will be in the fish section, come there when you are done. I will stand there and help people with their decisions, ask them what tank they have, give them advice and such. At my walmart, i have seen yellow lab cichlids go to kids that want them in a bowl. It disgust me. I always complain while i am in there, but never seems to get through. It is a never ending crusade.

WaterPond said:
I will stand there and help people with their decisions, ask them what tank they have, give them advice and such.

i tried doing that for an elderly couple buying some fish for their grandkids, the bought like $50 worth of fish all at once, and against my advice, bought several electric blue lobsters and some crabs, as well and gouramis and other many other fish and dwarf frogs.

when i requested politely that she get some dechlor, that regular tap water will kill, she acted like i was scamming her, and walked away

Yes, because you not working there is a reason for you to want her to buy more stuff...

But this is an untrusting world. Unfortunately, you can't really trust anyone anymore. Kinda sucks.

It would never happen but if my LFS started selling painted fish I don't think I could just walk away. I would have words with the owner (who knows me by now as a 'regular' lol). Failing that I would go report them on as many sites and with as many magazines as I could. Practical Fishkeeping etc.
I would make sure that everyone knew what was going on...

WaterPond said:
I went into mylocal walmart today, and they had a sign posted reading "The next shipment of fish has been moved to sept. 8 due to uncontollable fish death" I just shook my head.

It is not uncommon for my local WalMart to have signs posted on their "aquariums" saying "Not for sale, being treated". They will never tell me what the fish are being treated for; I'm sure they have no idea.

Forgive me for the harsh words but god I HATE WALMART

Joe

I have never bought a fish at walmart that survived more than a day. Truly sad. I am sure they are all mishandled. When I get all set up this time I will only go to petsmart (lack of otehr options there too) because at least they have a 2 week guarantee.

My local walmart doesnt treat their fish for anything, and they use one sump for all of their tanks, so if one tank has a disease, they all do. I took a peak through the empleyees only door, lol. I bought a dojo loach from wal-mart, and i have had it for almost a year. Doing very well. I also HATE WAL-MART, lol

As long as folks buy painted and all other types of fish not found in the wild, they will be available unfortunately. I really doubt that more than one person complains weekly about it and I am certain that more than one person buys such fish weekly.

janek said:
As long as folks buy painted and all other types of fish not found in the wild, they will be available unfortunately. I really doubt that more than one person complains weekly about it and I am certain that more than one person buys such fish weekly.

Sadly, some people do not know the difference. They are not well educated and, presumably, most of the time have no idea the fish was ever "altered".

Sick. Sick. Sick.

Joe

Ryan, I respect that you care about fish like most all of us. I think we need to talk to as many people as we can to spread the word how cruel it is.

The reason why most people buy them is because they don't know. Everytime I am at the LFS I say something if I see someone buying them.

There's alot of cruel things in the world- painted fish are what I think a minor issue- why not focus this energy towards working at a homeless shelter or volunteering to grow your ahir long then shave it off so a chemo patient can have hair that he/she once had before cancer stole it...I think we need to keep things in perspective ppl. And this is gonna be really unpopular with you animal lovers, but I think sometimes a glimpse of the bigger picture is sometimes necessary...

...why not focus this energy towards working at a homeless shelter...

I'm sure many members here do volunteer work as well, and have jobs and kids and other interests. But this is an aquarium list, so that's what people talk about here.

physicsdude said:
There's alot of cruel things in the world- painted fish are what I think a minor issue- why not focus this energy towards working at a homeless shelter or volunteering to grow your ahir long then shave it off so a chemo patient can have hair that he/she once had before cancer stole it...I think we need to keep things in perspective ppl. And this is gonna be really unpopular with you animal lovers, but I think sometimes a glimpse of the bigger picture is sometimes necessary...

Perhaps this is this wrong thread to discuss your concerns in. Correct me if I am wrong but this thread appears to be based upon one being unhappy with their local fish store/supplier. Hence not being about a lack of volunteers at homeless shelters or lack of people donating their hair to the cancer society.

A glimpse of the bigger picture? I think you are way off base as the point of a "thread" is to discuss the "topic" of the "thread" in question. Obviously we have not been discussing any issues other then the ones mentioned in previous posts. Especially not human/social affairs.

My point being, stick to the point. If you have an issue with human affairs then take it up with your local politician, start a petition or get some sort of protest on the ball. Otherwise I think it is borderline insulting for you to even suggest that we (the members posting in this thread) need to "take a glimpse at the bigger picture". Perhaps you need to take a glimpse at this thread's topic.

And for your information, my hair was roughly 19 inches long before I cut it off and donated it to the "Wigs For Kids" organization in Canada who make wigs for children undergoing chemo therapy. I also used to volunteer at the local food bank until I no longer had the time in my life to do so.

My advice to you is:
A/ Stay on topic.
B/ Consider how your post(s) may make other people feel prior to posting.
C/ THINK before you post.

I will apologize in advance to anyone who may take offence to my opinionated post as I realise it may be perceived as abrasive. However the underlying message in physicsdude's post is personally very insulting to me.

I would also like to make it very clear that this individual post represents my sole opinion and not the opinion of anyone else here at AA. I am speaking on my behalf ONLY.

If you wish to discuss this with me further physicsdude, or anyone for that matter, please PM me. I would rather not turn this sad thread into a horrible argument or debate.

Joe

LOL, guess I hurt someone's feelings, in spite of his charity work. Meant no offense dude, just wanted to point out that there's betetr thinsg to worry about than painted fish- again, this is considered basphenmy to some in this forum I imagine...

Back
Top Bottom