assassin behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey I bought some assassin snails last week to help with the pond snail problem I have in my tank. Firstly the snail problem is still there, they dont seem to have done anything? But mainly I'm worried coz only 1 of them comes out? The other 2 I hadn't seen since I bought them until today when I cleaned out the tank and found them borrowed in the gravel at the back of the tank. I put them all at the front of the tank to monitor them but by the time is tidied my cleaning stuff away they'd gone again. I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior or do ya think there could be something wrong?

The assassin snail (Clea helena) are actually whelks. They spend much of their time hidden in the sand and like to ambush their prey. It does not seem at all unusual for them to do just what you say they are doing. They like to disappear.

They are opportunistic predators though and will eat what they can get. If they do catch a snail, and trust me, they can, they will quickly subdue and devour it. Then they will need to spend a day or two digesting it.

It will take them a little time to do their work, but they should do it. They are not snail vacuums, but they should help keep the pond snails in check. Just remember though that pond snails are VERY prolific.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I was just unsure as one of them isn't shy in the slightest. I've gathered that I'm probably gonna need another 3 at least to clear the pond snails up. Thanks again for the thorough response :)

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I was just unsure as one of them isn't shy in the slightest. I've gathered that I'm probably gonna need another 3 at least to clear the pond snails up. Thanks again for the thorough response :)

I was thinking that you may need to do just that if it is really bad. Don't go wild and get too many assassins. A couple more should do it. You need to maintain a balance in the tank. Having too many assassins will make it so they run out of food. Besides, pond snails are not all bad and can do you an invaluable service by helping to keep the tank clean. Many aquarists dislike them, but I've found them to be quite useful... if kept in check.

Yeah its the keeping them in check part tats hard lol I've only got a 3ft 121l tank and yesterday alone I managed to pull out 40 snails! I wouldn't mind if they just stayed on the rocks etc but they are all over my glass and keep blocking my spray bar! All this from a single live plant lol

Yeah its the keeping them in check part tats hard lol I've only got a 3ft 121l tank and yesterday alone I managed to pull out 40 snails! I wouldn't mind if they just stayed on the rocks etc but they are all over my glass and keep blocking my spray bar! All this from a single live plant lol

That's why most people dislike them. When they are out of control they seem to cover every surface and are unsightly.

One other thing though. Snail population explosions rarely happen in a vacuum. They usually occur when there is an excess of food available to them. You may be overfeeding your fish. Sometimes the best way to control the snails is to reduce what you feed your fish. You also want to check that you have no dead or dying plants or plant material in the tank. They will eat that too.

Yeah I knew about the over feeding thing but I don't see how I am as I only put 2 pinches of flake in a day for 17 fish and its gone in under a minute? As for the plants I replaced them with take ones, couldn't be doing with the hassle lol

Back
Top Bottom