Assassin Snails-Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed a population growth of MTS along with pond snails in my tank. I want to nip this in the bud before it gets out of control. I have my 2 large Mystery Snails and I was wondering about getting a couple of Assassin Snails to help keep the population of the MTS and pond snails down.

Will my Mystery Snails be safe since they're so large, or should I put them in the betta tank while the Assassins clean up?

I really don't want to lose all of my MTS, so I thought I could just use the Assassins for awhile and then move the them to the betta tank after awhile and put the Mysterys back. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks,
D

I've never seen assassins go after nerites so I think mystery snails woulds be fine. To nip it in the bud, you need to find and remove the food source that is supporting them.

I've never seen assassins go after nerites so I think mystery snails woulds be fine. To nip it in the bud, you need to find and remove the food source that is supporting them.

I'm most likely overfeeding, but didn't think that I was.

How many Assassins for a 36 gal planted tank would you suggest?
Thanks.

Well I did 10 which I have to admit was way to many now I breed pond snails in another tank to keep the assassins fed. I would say maybe 4-5 would be all you will need. Bit tou may still find that you will need to supplement them later on.

Well I did 10 which I have to admit was way to many now I breed pond snails in another tank to keep the assassins fed. I would say maybe 4-5 would be all you will need. Bit tou may still find that you will need to supplement them later on.

But everyone seems to agree that my Mystery Snails are safe?

Yep they are way to big for the assassins to go after.

I've been on the internet researching this and I guess sometimes, they'll gang up and take down a big snail. I can't imagine them doing this if they have a food source that's much easier prey. So far, it's about 50/50 as far as if the MS would be safe or not. Maybe I should consider the loaches...:ermm:

I have one in a 10g with 3 nerites and it has never bothered them, so I think your mystery will be fine.
If you only got 2-3 assassins in your 36, they probably would never completely wipe out the MTS, and they would just keep balance.

I have one in a 10g with 3 nerites and it has never bothered them, so I think your mystery will be fine.
If you only got 2-3 assassins in your 36, they probably would never completely wipe out the MTS, and they would just keep balance.

Thanks, that's good to know. What about a couple of Zebra loaches? I could try those too I guess.

I wouldn't add fish to try to solve the problem. Keep an eye on feeding, do some extra gravel cleaning, and maybe add 3-5 assassins. Just because they are cool. :) JMO

I wouldn't add fish to try to solve the problem. Keep an eye on feeding, do some extra gravel cleaning, and maybe add 3-5 assassins. Just because they are cool. :) JMO

I was thinking about this all night and I came to the same conclusion. I don't want to add stock to my tank right now so I decided to go with the Assassins. Thanks!
D

You are aware that snails count as stock. I've been told and have witnessed that snails are particularly dirty. Just keep that in mind. I'm not sure how many fish you have and have found this thread interesting

You are aware that snails count as stock. I've been told and have witnessed that snails are particularly dirty. Just keep that in mind. I'm not sure how many fish you have and have found this thread interesting

Thanks for your input. Yes, I used the wrong word when I said "stock". I know that snails have a bio-load that needs to be taken into consideration. I guess what I should have said is that I don't really want anymore fish right now. I have a nice balance of top-mid-bottom going and really don't need anymore fish. Thanks again-I always appreciate comments and help.
D

I have introduced 4 Assassin Snails into my tank today. I'll give an update on the MTS and pond population in a month or so.
Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions!
D

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom