Assorted African cichlids care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just now seeing this I feel sorry for those fish. Cichlids are wonderful fish and trapping them in a bowl is just cruel.

Caleb

People are getting upset because of your disregard for what is appropriate for keeping African cichlids. Politely I will say, your setup is no world for a single cichlid to live, let alone two. There is nothing wrong with keeping a 3.5gallon tank in general, but you need to keep appropriate species in that tank.

Respectfully, keeping 2 cichlids in a 3.5 gallon is not ethical fishkeeping. We are here to help you covert your 3.5g into a happy, healthy environment for appropriate fish/invertebrates. But we cannot and will not help you keep your cichlids there. But we would love to talk to you about the other fun and interesting things you can do with your tank with micro-species of fish, bettas, shrimp or other.

My intentions were not to offend anybody. I care about the fish a great deal and I do all the water changes weekly. I simply do not see the problem with having fish that are only about 2 inches in length in a tank that's cleaned regularly, filtered and monitored. The fish not eating is not due to the size of the tank it was eating when it was in a unfiltered bowl. He's slowly starting to eat. Which is a good sign for me. I don't think I specified the species correctly but these are maxed sized at about 2 inches. The fish is over two years old. He's looking great and colorful. I have done the best I can getting it bigger sized tanks. I'm not really worried about the new one sense he's smallest fish I've ever seen. Less than half an inch. He will get bigger and if they seem stressed out I will upgrade them to a better fitting home. I am not harming them. Most people are ill informed about what a fish can handle and what is a happy environment. Yes any fish would love to have unlimited water to swim in but also healthy water.

My intentions were not to offend anybody. I care about the fish a great deal and I do all the water changes weekly. I simply do not see the problem with having fish that are only about 2 inches in length in a tank that's cleaned regularly, filtered and monitored. The fish not eating is not due to the size of the tank it was eating when it was in a unfiltered bowl. He's slowly starting to eat. Which is a good sign for me. I don't think I specified the species correctly but these are maxed sized at about 2 inches. The fish is over two years old. He's looking great and colorful. I have done the best I can getting it bigger sized tanks. I'm not really worried about the new one sense he's smallest fish I've ever seen. Less than half an inch. He will get bigger and if they seem stressed out I will upgrade them to a better fitting home. I am not harming them. Most people are ill informed about what a fish can handle and what is a happy environment. Yes any fish would love to have unlimited water to swim in but also healthy water.

Most of the people's comments here are based on the fact that the fish get stunted in aquariums that are too small for them. Again, read this link please.

Stunted growth means stunted lives — Seriously Fish

Also, just to be clear. What species of cichlid are these?

Back
Top Bottom