Assorted Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nippyfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to my usual LFS yesterday and asked them if they carry Peppered Cories [Corydoras paleatus]. The owner said, "sort of." He then continued on by saying that when they order Cory Cats they order an assortment. Except for the albinos, it's difficult to tell what your getting unless you have a well trained eye.

I have to admit, I was tempted to get an assortment because I love a challenge and the excitement of not knowing what I'm getting but I did the responsible thing and backed out with no fish in hand. What I'm wondering is, what are the dangers involved with getting 5 mystery cories? Will they all interact together as though they are the same species? Do some require drastically different needs then others? Do some get really large and won't work out in a 30 gallon with 4 Dwarf Gouramis? Finally, what type of cories are they likely housing there? (Surely some are more common then others)

Overall, is this a terrible idea or a fairly safe bet?

Thanks.

ps.
Now that I think about it, there were "assorted cories" listed on AquaBid too. Is this pretty common?

Well, not knowing any better, when I first set up my 29 gal tank I asked for 3 corys (assuming they were all the same species) and when I got home discovered I had 1 peppered and 2 of something else (still haven't ID'd it yet). :? They certainly get along fine, so I wouldn't worry about that. However, I have read that since corys are schooling fish (at least in the general sense), they are going to be "happier" if you get all of the same type, rather than have a mix of 1 or 2 each of different species.

How much "happier" they would be, or even if this is true or not, I can't say for sure...only sharing what I have read from others.

Yes, Cories will be happier in a species school of atleast 6 or more fish.
The more fish, the better the interaction and the more fun they are to watch as they graze the substrate and go flying along and up -n- down the tank sides playing follow the leader.

I'd PM Guppyman and get some cories from him - he has some gorgeous ones. He knows just about all there is to know about them, too.

Nippyfish said:
Overall, is this a terrible idea or a fairly safe bet? Now that I think about it, there were "assorted cories" listed on AquaBid too. Is this pretty common? - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Hi. You can keep Corys of mixed species and they'll be fine. Most of what you are going to find in an lfs are: green or albino C. aeneus, Peppered Corys (C. paleatus) and C. trilineatus (usually mislabled as C. julii - which they never are.) Even having one of each of these presents no problems as far as socialization. They interact as their "mood" sees fit - but you are not hurting them by not having more of the same species. HTH. - Frank/Guppyman®

Except for the albinos, it's difficult to tell what your getting unless you have a well trained eye.

Are all albino's the same species? I've got 1 here, I was gonna pick him up some buddies, but wasn't sure of the species except that he's albino, the other ones in the store looked like 2 different types based on thier dorsal fin.

Albino Corys

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Are all albino's the same species? I've got 1 here, I was gonna pick him up some buddies, but wasn't sure of the species except that he's albino, the other ones in the store looked like 2 different types based on thier dorsal fin. - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Generally the only albino Corys you are going to find in an lfs are the C. aeneus, the occasional albino C. paleatus and the rare and expensive C. sterbai. If you find other albino Corys other than those 3 species, I want some :) - Frank/Guppyman®

Looking through the pics of those, mine definately does not have a rounded dorsal (at the front) and acually looks close the the last, but could be either., my daughters is definately the first one, but the ones at the store looked different then all 3. They had a dorsal that was shaped like a parrallelogram.
Code:
---------
\         \
  \         \
    --------

And all the ones you mentioned the dorsal comes back down, rounded at the back.

But are all albino cories likely to shoal even if they aren't the same species? matching them up can be a bit of a pain..

closer to Corydoras steindachneri

Corys

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
And all the ones you mentioned the dorsal comes back down, rounded at the back. closer to Corydoras steindachneri - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Hi. I am not aware of any reports of albino C. steindachneri and they are extremely rare in the trade in their regular color.

See: http://www.corycats.com/corydoras_steindachneri_htm.htm

Corys have a mind of their own. They oftentimes stay separate and other times interact. There is no hard and fast rule on this. I think you're fretting a bit much. Your Corys will be fine whether alone, with others of the same species or different species. Believe me. I have 200 tanks of Corys kept in every conceivable combination. They all do well, regardless of what they are kept with. Just enjoy them. They'll be fine. - Frank/Guppyman®

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I was looking at http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/corydora/315_f.php

That is closer to what thier dorsals looked like, perhaps when I'm out there grabbin some kuhli's I'll grab what I can and post a picture, most cories I've seen in a tank add a lot of character to the tank :)
Well, if that's what they are - GRAB THEM!!! Then mail them to me.
Oh, and that's a lot of cories, and a lot of tanks :)
Yeah, and a LOT of work! - Frank/Guppyman®

You may be correct, I'll probably check on Monday, not too fast a turn around on the asst. cory tanks..

Oh, and mailing fish across the border, unless you know a good taxidermist, they'ld be of little use :D

Back
Top Bottom