Attacking Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my friends 15g aquarium he has a few guppies. Though it is really overstocked :? all his fish look fine. One of the guppies is beeing attackes by some other guppies. What can I do? Will it live?
I need a answer ASAP, Thanks!
Sorry about the bad grammer, Im in a rush.

Hi Kasakato,
How many guppies are in the aquarium? Aggression among the fish can be related to overstocking the tank. There is not enough room for each fish to have a "territory", so they can fight. The fish may look fine for now, but if your friend can get another tank for the guppies, he should do so. If you have an overstocked tank, you most likely will have problems with parameters and aggression.

With livebearers like guppies, it's a good idea to have more females than males. Usually 3 females to one male is a good ratio. That way, the male doesn't repeatedly pester the same female and stress her out. This could also be what is happening in your friend's tank.

Can you take the harrassed guppy out of the tank? If you don't have another tank, you can put the guppy in a Rubbermaid container with an airstone. Then you can monitor it and see if it needs some meds, or just a rest in QT for awhile.

The best thing to do in this situation is to get another tank for the guppies, so they are not overstocked in the first tank. Otherwise, this aggression could get even worse, with more fish harrassed.

I think that it is about to have babies because it is really fat. Some of the fish will be given to another family member to stop the overstocked tank.

Hi Kasakato,
I had the same issue with the platies in my tank. The males were chasing each other. There was a lot of agression because I had way too many males in the tank. After I sold 10 of the male platies, the tank has become much calmer.

Back
Top Bottom