Attention! Read this if you are buying a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kannie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I'm new to this so sorry if I put this in the wrong thread. So, a while ago I bought a 100 gallon tank from Pet Smart. We filled it up, put rocks in, put the turtles in, and everything was great!

However, a week later we noticed some sort of worm ( a lot of them) we panicked and cleaned out the tank. A few days later they were back! This kept happening no matter how hard we cleaned the tank, and I didn't know what to do.

Just recently, we fixed this problem by boiling all of the rocks, perches, and filter parts, and we threw away a lot of the plants. Everything is fine now but just recently a friend of mine got this problem too and we came to a conclusion:

Both of us had noticed dust and what not in the tanks we bought, but we both had forgotten to wash it out before putting freshwater in. (Huge mistake on our part!) and turns out, there were some sort of worm egg in there from the pet store!

Please be careful and wash out your tanks after buying them!

Please be aware boiling rock is not recommended
1.) rocks can explode
2.) rocks can emit poisonous gases/fumes
3.) if you still insist on boiling rock this should be done outside using some type of vent-able cover along with you wearing protective glasses and clothing

rinsing rock properly can help avoid most problems 50/50 mix peroxide and water will get out most bad hitchhikers .

Hey! I'm new to this so sorry if I put this in the wrong thread. So, a while ago I bought a 100 gallon tank from Pet Smart. We filled it up, put rocks in, put the turtles in, and everything was great!

However, a week later we noticed some sort of worm ( a lot of them) we panicked and cleaned out the tank. A few days later they were back! This kept happening no matter how hard we cleaned the tank, and I didn't know what to do.

Everything is fine now but just recently a friend of mine got this problem too and we came to a conclusion

Both of us had noticed dust and what not in the tanks we bought, but we both had forgotten to wash it out before putting freshwater in. (Huge mistake on our part!) and turns out, there were some sort of worm egg in there from the pet store!

Please be careful and wash out your tanks after buying them!

What kind of worms are you talking about? Depending on the type they could have come from the plants, or your turtles may have internal parasites...

What kind of worms are you talking about? Depending on the type they could have come from the plants, or your turtles may have internal parasites...
It strikes me as odd that a parasitic aquatic worm would have eggs present in empty, foodless glass tanks.

I meant the turtles already had worms, I really doubt the worms came from dust

Back
Top Bottom