auto drip systems - time to choose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billberet

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey, working on my auto drip system.
I have 120gal fw moderately stocked.

currently I have a Pressure Regulator @ 20 PSI and a drip emitter at the end.
I'm having clogging issues with this system. metals clog up the emitter.
then I drip the water thru some carbon and into the tank.

I want to upgrade this system, I have decided to go with a drip regulator instead of my emitter. and i want to go with a pre filter.
so I'm figuring out either to go RO or RO/DI with a carbon block and sediment filter.

I'm trying to figure out which pressure regulator to buy. being it's a 120 gal tank, for a 20% water change I need 24 gal a day. I can buy a drip regulator for 24 gpd, or I can get the 40 gal gpd regulator.

I'm not on a well, so I have to deal with metals and chlorine.

i don't run this all the time, i have this system connected to a sprinkler valve that i turn on and off with my home automation, so i run it every 2 weeks for 24 hrs. but i think i want to get to a point that i run it all the time, depending on my water bill.

anyone have any insight ??

hey, working on my auto drip system.
I have 120gal fw moderately stocked.

currently I have a Pressure Regulator @ 20 PSI and a drip emitter at the end.
I'm having clogging issues with this system. metals clog up the emitter.
then I drip the water thru some carbon and into the tank.

I want to upgrade this system, I have decided to go with a drip regulator instead of my emitter. and i want to go with a pre filter.
so I'm figuring out either to go RO or RO/DI with a carbon block and sediment filter.

I'm trying to figure out which pressure regulator to buy. being it's a 120 gal tank, for a 20% water change I need 24 gal a day. I can buy a drip regulator for 24 gpd, or I can get the 40 gal gpd regulator.

I'm not on a well, so I have to deal with metals and chlorine.

i don't run this all the time, i have this system connected to a sprinkler valve that i turn on and off with my home automation, so i run it every 2 weeks for 24 hrs. but i think i want to get to a point that i run it all the time, depending on my water bill.

anyone have any insight ??

Not sure what equipment to suggest; but thought its worth pointing out that adding in 24 gallons via a drip system does not equate to a 20% water change. Yes you've added in 20% of the total water volume; but all you're doing is diluting whats already there.

Check this calculator here: Drip System Water Change Rate Calculator (W.C.S. Ltd.)

It claims that would give you the equivalent of an 18% daily WC.....which is pretty **** close to 20% lol.

thanks for the calc link.

I actually skipped the DI and just got a RO system
and I got the 40 gpd regulator, when I ran it in the calc, I got
The drip system will change 28.35 % of the Tank's water in one day and 48.66 % in two days.

so in one day I got 28% of the water to change.
I have 0 nitrites and ammonia, so I'm only doing this to handle my nitrates.
not to mention it will keep my water column stable.

I'm still fairly new when it comes to a drip system, so should I keep this system running all the time, that would dilute 28% of the water a day. seems like a lot if running all the time.

Back
Top Bottom