Auto top off system and tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking into getting an auto top off system like at autotopoff.com, but I have read in multiple places to use RO water. Is this really necessary to use RO water, or can you use tap water? What would be the difference?

I've heard that these work pretty good too...and are a lot cheaper :)-

Attachments

• 9000.jpg
    9000.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,308
Reactions: New
lol those will work but im already getting tired of putting a gallon of water in the tank each day...idk why so much water is evaporating. Maybe after I get the canopy thursday it wont be as bad?

Have you tried drinking RO/DI water? It's way better than straight tap water. Some cities can get away with using tap water depending on the way the water in their area is treated. In my experience an RO/DI unit is the best investment I've made. Removes a lot of the impurities and chemical additives in tap water and the difference can be seen in the health of my fish and coral. I used to use tap water by the way. Didn't last long.

I must have a limited edition bucket. Mine's orange. I could use a white one in my collection though.

idk why so much water is evaporating.

several reasons.
Do you have a power filter/hang-on back filter?
Do you have a lid?
Do you have an airstone or powerhead?
Higher temperatures lead to a faster rate of evaporation

back to the original question, the reason that RO water is recommended is that all the mineral content is left behind when water evaporates. If you used tap water the dissolved mineral content would steadily increase.

A canopy will definitely help. My 46 gallon is open top, and it loses a fair amount of water during the week...but not so bad that a weekly pwc doesn't top it off. My Fluval Chi on the other hand requires a pitcher of water every couple days.

I don't know how those systems work with SW, but it's gonna be more complicated in FW. You can't add raw tap water with chlorine into the tank...and RO water is completely stripped and requires adding minerals back into the water before aquarium use. It also has a pH level in the basement until it is treated with a product which adds things back in.

Do you have a power filter/hang-on back filter?
no I have a canister filter

Do you have a lid?
im getting on thursday

Do you have an airstone or powerhead?
no, just the spraybar for the canister filter

Higher temperatures lead to a faster rate of evaporation
My heater right now is disconnected, I should have a new one by thursday

back to the original question, the reason that RO water is recommended is that all the mineral content is left behind when water evaporates. If you used tap water the dissolved mineral content would steadily increase.

What if the container had a lid on it? Would that help it at all

A canopy will definitely help. My 46 gallon is open top, and it loses a fair amount of water during the week...but not so bad that a weekly pwc doesn't top it off. My Fluval Chi on the other hand requires a pitcher of water every couple days.

I don't know how those systems work with SW, but it's gonna be more complicated in FW. You can't add raw tap water with chlorine into the tank...and RO water is completely stripped and requires adding minerals back into the water before aquarium use. It also has a pH level in the basement until it is treated with a product which adds things back in.

I wouldnt connect it directly to my water line. I would have a container filled with dechlorinated water with a lid on it under my tank.

FishN00b83 said:
I wouldnt connect it directly to my water line. I would have a container filled with dechlorinated water with a lid on it under my tank.

In that case I assume it'd be fine...it's just not something I'd personally spend money on.

It would probably cost under 50 bucks to make one yourself. The only reason why I'm thinking about it is because this tank is in my bedroom, and the spraybar gets LOUD after a while. So I constantly need to top it off with like a gallon of water. I'll see how it goes once I get the canopy on thursday. Hopefully it helps out because with the Eheim filter on full throttle, it gets LOUD once the water is below the spraybar lol

eco23 said:

In my experience, the water evaporation is the same with or without the lid. If you have a glass top, it will actually increase your water temp up to 10 deg C. im running 2 metal halide lighting with 4 actinics. I just ordered a water top off system. I too am tired of putting a pitcher of water a day.

And yes RO water is the way to go for either fresh or saltwater.

I actually installed an air stone recently to help with a couple things...and water level was one. Before I was depending on my canister output to give me surface movement, but like you said, when the water gets low it gets loud. With the air stones I can keep the output a few inches under the water line, and count on the bubbles causing surface agitation. Normally the air stones are just for aesthetics...but they do serve some other purposes. For instance, if my filter were to go out it would at least provide aeration for the fish while I get it fixed or replaced. Otherwise let us know how the system works.

Casper21 said:
In my experience, the water evaporation is the same with or without the lid. If you have a glass top, it will actually increase your water temp up to 10 deg C. im running 2 metal halide lighting with 4 actinics. I just ordered a water top off system. I too am tired of putting a pitcher of water a day.

And yes RO water is the way to go for either fresh or saltwater.

I have noticed a significant difference in evaporation since the canopy was removed...no question. I've also never seen a reason to use RO/DI for freshwater as long as the tap water doesn't have serious problems. Even then, those problems would have to basically make it unfit for human consumption such as highly elevated no3 for RO/DI to be needed IMO.

NO!!!!! for tap water!
YES!!! for RO/DI water!
And **** NO!!!!! to drinking RO/DI water will make you sick!
RO water is ok, but not RO/DI water!!!!

Tap water will destroy your aquarium in do time with all the stuff in it that's bad for fish and corals.

I actually installed an air stone recently to help with a couple things...and water level was one. Before I was depending on my canister output to give me surface movement, but like you said, when the water gets low it gets loud. With the air stones I can keep the output a few inches under the water line, and count on the bubbles causing surface agitation. Normally the air stones are just for aesthetics...but they do serve some other purposes. For instance, if my filter were to go out it would at least provide aeration for the fish while I get it fixed or replaced. Otherwise let us know how the system works.

I could do the airstone thing. I guess Ill see what happens with the lid and see if it helps, then take it from there. I know I'm going to need to make a doser for this tank because its going to be heavily planted. Maybe I can make the solution in a few gallons of water and solve both problems at once.

DA fisherman said:
NO!!!!! for tap water!
YES!!! for RO/DI water!
And **** NO!!!!! to drinking RO/DI water will make you sick!
RO water is ok, but not RO/DI water!!!!

Tap water will destroy your aquarium in do time with all the stuff in it that's bad for fish and corals.

You know this thread is in the FW section, right? I'd be very interested in your theory of how tap water "destroys" my aquarium assuming it is treated with a quality water conditioner.

rive1404 said:
That was my way of saying I'd rather drink RO/DI than tap :D Seriously, don't drink it.

Ohh sorry :)

And no I didnt know it was in the freshwater section lol sorry too :)

In my experience, having a fully covered tank helps a ton. I had a canopy with the break out sections on the back for putting things like filters on the back. I switched to one that covers all of the tank, including the back, and now have an internal filter. I went from losing a gallon or two (at least) per week to never needing to top off outside my normal water changes. And, admittedly, I've slacked a bit recently on water changes and have gone far too long without doing one. Point is, lost virtually no water with the top completely covered even when going a month (perhaps more... please don't yell at me :p ) without a water change or topping off.

I was cautioned though that sealing it as tightly as I have it sealed could create problems such as PH crashes and lack of oxygen. I haven't really seen lack of oxygen issues, but have had a few PH crashes. But, like I said, I've been slacking recently and so that probably has more to do with my PH problems than how tightly I have my tank sealed. So, if you want to keep evaporation to a minimum cover the top as much as you can. Just make sure to keep up on your water changes. :)

Back
Top Bottom