automatic feeding suggestions, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
My family and I have just been surprised with a quick family vacation and the person who I would normally ask to feed my aquatic crew is coming with us! I have one automatic feeder that I can just put some flake food in for my 55g tank with our 6 danios in it. (The tank is newish and I'll be doing almost a total water change in it the morning we leave.) In our other 10g we have a tetra, two new Chinese algae eaters (from a friend with too many) a RCS and an african dwarf frog. He is my main feeding concern. I normally thaw some bloodworms for everyone and make sure to put some right in front of the ADF to make sure he gets enough to eat.

We will be gone less than a week.

Here are my questions:
1) Can you recommend an automatic feeding system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
2) can I put in freeze dried bloodworm for my ADF?
3) anything I forgot to think about?

Hi skiweeangel. to be honest, as you will be away for less than a week, feed your fish before you leave and forget them, they will come to no harm for a few days without food, my fish are never fed while we are away, I have left them for up to 8 days and have never lost one from malnutrition yet. believe me they will be fine.

Pete

Hi skiweeangel. to be honest, as you will be away for less than a week, feed your fish before you leave and forget them, they will come to no harm for a few days without food, my fish are never fed while we are away, I have left them for up to 8 days and have never lost one from malnutrition yet. believe me they will be fine.

Pete

+1. I'm not sure about the ADF, but weekend feeders and other automatic feeders are nonsense and foul your tank. One person on here even had some fish die while he was gone, using them. If it's less than a week, you should be fine. Just feed them well before you leave!

Thanks! that's a load off my mind. I love your quote at the bottom of your posts! HAHA I'll have to show my husband! HAHA

Like others on the thread have said, you shouldn't have to worry if you're only gone for less than a week.

If gone longer than that, you could look into this feeder. I was able to use this successfully to feed my fish for nearly two weeks, and was able to vary the diet between fish flakes and freeze dried food with it. I also occasionally put an algae wafer or shrimp pellet in it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/fish-mate-f14-aquarium-fish-feeder-148295.html

I would put the tetra and the chinese algae eaters in the 55 and set up an auto feeder for the frog. I couldn't stand to leave my frogs unfed for that long. JMO

I would put the tetra and the chinese algae eaters in the 55 and set up an auto feeder for the frog. I couldn't stand to leave my frogs unfed for that long. JMO

+1. You may want to consider a separate option for the froggie.

Back
Top Bottom