Average Goldfish Growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enigmatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 goldfish that were bought as feeders, but my crayfish died so now I'm just keeping them.

One of them I bought before the other two and its only grown to 1.5 inches, while the other two were bought a month afterwards.

The other 2 have grown from 1 inch to 5 inches, in less than two months. Is this normal for what I'm assuming are comet goldfish.

It's been my experience that goldfish, even feeder goldfish, if you get healthy ones, grow pretty quickly.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice. :D

Feeder/comet golds grow quickly...much more quickly than fancies, as long as you have plenty of space, well-filtered, regularly-changed water, and plenty of a good diet.

Most likely the other has been stunted, this happens due to overcrowding or being kept in too small of an aquarium. Comet/common goldfish (as most feeders are) need 15 gallons per fish, it seems you are doing a great job, since they can potentially grow 2" per month and can get as large as 12". HTH

Back
Top Bottom