Awww, That Red Tailed Cat is soooo cute!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just flabbergasted at some of the fish that LFS's will sell.
So many people fall in love with the cute little Red Tailed Cats and take them home, whether out of ignorance, mis-information or with just no intention of keeping it when it gets larger...... And larger... And LARGER...

Attachments

• 47b5dc30b3127cce90716d6e5b4e00000016108abmm7vmzcnk.jpg
    47b5dc30b3127cce90716d6e5b4e00000016108abmm7vmzcnk.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 134
At our last GNYAS meeting, our guest speaker did a presentation on Catfish. The speaker identified each specie of catfish, including photos. He stressed the need for aquarists to be aware of similar species and recommended a list of cats that no one should ever dream of keeping. Although he didn't have this particular pic, the ones he did have showed examples of aquaria gone mad if done.

Sheesh... :(

but it would be what they eat in order to attain such a size, like all the other tankmates.
Hint, don't let your cat, dog, or small children play in or around the tank, pond....... Olympic sized swimming pool :!: 8O

Even more scary...'Leopard catfish', a hybrid of Red-tail cats and Tiger shovelnose cats....a hybrid that shows considerable 'hybrid vigour', meaning that is grows larger than either parent. One of my LFSes has 6...all about 10" and growing fast!

There are some fish which IMHO, just should not be sold without some type of agreement, proof, license etc, of being able to properly care for, house and feed'em as a adult and for its lifespan.

Red Tailed Cats, Tiger Shovelnose Cat, Pacus, Silver Arowanas and etc...
To name just a very few....

Even more scary...'Leopard catfish', a hybrid of Red-tail cats and Tiger shovelnose cats....a hybrid that shows considerable 'hybrid vigour', meaning that is grows larger than either parent. One of my LFSes has 6...all about 10" and growing fast!
:twisted: :!: Don't get me going about HYBRIDS, i think everyone knows how I feel about'em...... (selfcontrolselfcontrolselfcontrol :evil: )
Dangerous to the involved species and others, to nature, to aquaria and all aspects of responsible fishkeeping & breeding. :soap:

.. i don't think their that bad ~ sticks tongue at ~
In any case.. Ive been looking around but i cant find the picture...
it was a picture of one that was five feet long not counting the end of the tail.. wish i could find it

Ofcourse you like me.. You can't resist my girlish charms...
... ~ pulls down skirt and moons ~ Thats two points for lyndsie!!!!!!!
o_O;
In any case.. back on topic.....
My science teacher got one, they told her it would be okay in her 125 gallon... it wasnt... Its living in their pool now.. great huh?

Yep, those Red Tailed Cats can get 6ft long! Talk about a lot of fish!

They shouldnt be sold as aqaurim fish.

You would needa HUGE tank to let the grow to adult size and not overstock it.

JMHO

Back
Top Bottom