Baby betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had to get more Prime and since I had some time on my hands I was checking out fish department. In the betta department they had tiny baby betta's for sale! Some of them were so tiny they didn't have much or any color yet. Some were dead and others were sick or almost dead. I thought about "saving" a couple but decided not to, they would only get replaced with more. I doubt if any of the babies will live....to tiny to even sex.

It's so sad that they sale baby ones. I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but every time I go I stop myself... But if you think about it most of the stores aren't going to stop selling them. But it is a horrible, horrible thing!

I will buy a betta from my LFS they have their betta's in the tanks and not in the cups. :)

One of my LFS, my favorite, gives them a 5 gallon tank each. They only have like 8 bettas, but they are gorgeous. Ive seen baby bettas at petco, in those horrible little cups, and they're pretty sickly...

ocean said:
I will buy a betta from my LFS they have their betta's in the tanks and not in the cups. :)

Wow I all my LFS have "betta lounges" or something close to it. Hopefully today I can save a betta from being in a cup. :D

What's wrong with cup bettas? You can get healthy cup bettas just as much as healthy tank bettas. All my bettas were cup bettas and for the most part all survived.

As for "saving" bettas in cups, it's pretty redundant. You can't save a betta by buying one and giving it a new home. It'll just be replaced by some other betta in a cup. And, by buying them, you're just encouraging the pet store to practice this more, which they only do because it's the cheapest and most inexpensive way to do so.

The best way to stop this is to boycott, petition, or write a letter to the LFS/company. It can make a big change.

I've seen baby bettas tank-raised with their mom. It was pretty cool.

bruinsbro1997 said:
What's wrong with cup bettas? You can get healthy cup bettas just as much as healthy tank bettas. All my bettas were cup bettas and for the most part all survived.

As for "saving" bettas in cups, it's pretty redundant. You can't save a betta by buying one and giving it a new home. It'll just be replaced by some other betta in a cup. And, by buying them, you're just encouraging the pet store to practice this more, which they only do because it's the cheapest and most inexpensive way to do so.

The best way to stop this is to boycott, petition, or write a letter to the LFS/company. It can make a big change.

I've seen baby bettas tank-raised with their mom. It was pretty cool.

I don't buy cup betta's no matter how nice they are. For the reasons the cups are usually dirty, full of uneaten food and 90% of the betta's are sick, have Ick or some kind of fungus or have been dead so long in the cups you can't tell what it was. I do and have talked to managment about the lack of care, which doesn't do much. I also chose to not buy any livestock from this chain store. If my LFS carried Prime I would buy it there instead. :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
What's wrong with cup bettas?

Did I really just read that?!

bruinsbro1997 said:
All my bettas were cup bettas and for the most part all survived.

You can't save a betta by buying one and giving it a new home. It'll just be replaced by some other betta in a cup. And, by buying them, you're just encouraging the pet store to practice this more

The best way to stop this is to boycott, petition, or write a letter to the LFS/company.

Maybe practice what you preach? First you say nothing is wrong with it then you say it's terrible.

:confused::confused:

I agree with some of what bruins said. Yes, SOME bettas in cups are fairly safe for purchase, and id like to plitely disagree with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom