Baby brine shrimp feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
AAARRRGGHHHH!!! My girlfriend has been insistent she get to feed the fish: mollies, a platy and 2 bettas their occasional treat of frozen baby brine shrimp... Being I'm the one that picked out the fish, monitors them, cares for the birth and rearing of the fry, etc etc ... I'm very particular about these guys.. I normally put the brine shrimp cube in a ziplock bag and tap it gently with a hammer, mashing it... And distributing it carefully among tanks... Watching them eat as fish have gobbled too big a piece and swam around half swallowed and half hanging out chunk trying to get it down for 5-10 mins.. Well... She decided to put frozen cube CHUNKS in the tank and the betta tanks and let them have at it... Telling me, "You do it your way, I do it mine..." While I sat there half frantically explaining why I was so worried about it going in that way... She finally pissy said, "Fine, You do it from now on... I didnt even get to watch them eat it cause I was listening to you..."

AHHHH!! just needed an ear... Thanks guys... Any suggestions?

Forgot to add... My juvenile female betta is so full she's bulging ... :-( I chased after my girlfriend telling her not to give her very much and she dumped it in anyway... The first time I ever fed Lucy shrimp I fed too much and she had a hard time straining to poop in the morning... I'm quite annoyed and slightly worried about her... She's swollen 3x's her size in her belly.

Mistakes happen..right? Dont be too hard on her. I hope lucys all right :/

Yes mistakes happen, I agree, but I told her what would happen, why I was worried about it, she said it doesn't matter they're fine, did it anyway and it happened... Sigh
This is the same woman who told me just to flush them because she's tired of issues with the fish...
Uh.... (keeping mouth shut ) :)

ocminpin said:
Forgot to add... My juvenile female betta is so full she's bulging ... :-( I chased after my girlfriend telling her not to give her very much and she dumped it in anyway... The first time I ever fed Lucy shrimp I fed too much and she had a hard time straining to poop in the morning... I'm quite annoyed and slightly worried about her... She's swollen 3x's her size in her belly.

Do you have any peas? This should help with bloat or constipation, IME. I buy them frozen boil them a little bit and shell them it seems to help! :)

ocminpin said:
Thank you :) i appreciate it....
I also hear not stuffing your betta with food helps too! ;-)

I hear ya!! Lol! I give my fish peas regularly about twice a week though cuz I've lost some fish in the past to bloat! My daughter's friend unscrewed the cap on the fish flakes and when my daughter went to feed them ( not knowing the lid wasn't on) the whole bottle of flakes ended up in the tank!!! It was a nightmare getting it cleaned out and unfortunately I lost a couple neons and a bn pleco to bloat!! So now I keep peas on hand cooked and ready to go! :)

Gboy66 said:
That is terrible!!!

It was horrible! Imagine trying to scoop a whole container of fish flakes out of a 40g tank! I think I cried that night, will never forget that ordeal! So now I duck tape the lid on the fish flakes lol!!! :)

Good idea!!
I must say my son, who was almost 3 at the time, decided to feed my betta half a can of flakes along with pellets... Poor betta was In a 2.5 gal filtered tank.. Everything was jammed up so badly...
Poor thing didn't make it the following month when he decided to pet the fish.. :-( I found him stuck to the side of the table cloth a few hours later...

Grateful my boy has grown up, is 6 1/2 now and has a concept of the fish and is having a great time watching my Molly fry grow up...

Awwwwww! Sorry to hear about your Betta! Your son just thought he was helping......poor kid, just wanted to pet the betta!

LOL ya I laugh now! Poor guy was quickly put in his bowl.. Amazingly enough he floated and was breathing a lil for a couple hours... Couldn't bare to look at his once gorgeous completely shredded fins...

Lol this is aquarium advice not relationship advice ;) ... Tell her to back off and get her own hobby if she wont listen to you when your telling her about yours! Jerry Springer is doing a "aquarium special" soon, get your application in

Or you can just pre crush all the cubes so she cannot just drop a whole chunk in :) ... job done!

Sorry... Just thought maybe someone else would identify with their spouse or gf/bf complaining or trying to take over the fish..
Good idea about crushing all the cubes :)

Back
Top Bottom