Baby it's cold outside!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
Question - I live in Milwaukee, so the temp is anywhere from 30-60 degrees this time of year. I have a snail issue, which I'm working on. Unfortunately the issue is now in both my tanks.

My question is: I throw my fish tank water out in my garden (fish poop makes everything so beautiful). SO, will I now have a snail issue in my garden since I have snails in my fish tanks or will they die without water?

gail

They will die without water let alone the temps lol

I know that was a goofy question, but I've heard of snails in gardens and wanted to make sure my garden wouldn't be affected too. Thanks for your help.
gail :thanks:

Well before we end this lol what kind of snail is it exactly

Don't really know, some nasty little brown snail that the fish lady accidently put in my bag when I was buying fish. The snail got in my net and into my tank, and that's all she wrote. I pulled out quite a few when I cleaned my tank yesterday. Started running hot water through my siphon before I clean my 29 gallon tank (which is actually too late now - rolling eyes).

I was thinking of taking some of the substrate out, soaking it in hot water and then putting it back in the tank, or I could just toss it. That will mess up my eco system, won't it.

Snails can be very difficult to get rid of which the only sure fire way is empty the tank clean it and set back up. Without a snail ID though I can't promise that they will die in the garden but most snails aren't both aquatic and terrestrial its either one or the other and maybe that's how they all are but I'm no snail expert so I don't wanna tell you that one doesn't exist lol

Buy some loaches, or assassin snails. As far as I know, that's a pair of sure fire ways to get rid of'em.

I was thinking of getting some yo-yo loaches, however I have a feeling my rainbow shark wouldn't get along with the loaches.

The snails look like they might be meltanoides tuberculota, as they are trumpet like.

I've been reading about snails, they aren't all that bad, however they can get out of control very fast.

You should avoid using other creatures to solve a pest problem as much as possible as this usually just leads to more issues.

I think your original plan will work the best. The snails will probably die once outside and since it has been getting very cold at night that will kill them quickly.

Back
Top Bottom