Baby pleco care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheManichaean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I stocked my new tank two weeks ago, and among my initial fish I purchased a really small baby pleco. He seems to be doing well, since he's almost doubled in size from 1/2" to 1" over the last couple of weeks, but is there anything else I can do to help him along?

Quick info on the rest of my tank:
65 gal tank, 3 plant bunches + rocks and driftwood for decor
100 gal rated Marineland canister filter
Undergravel filter, two power heads
Tankmates: 3 angelfish, 2 3" bala sharks, 8 tetras, one 5" pleco
7.3 pH, 0 ppm ammonium and nitrite, 25 ppm nitrate
80 degrees Fahrenheit
Mixed gravel sizes

There's another larger 5" pleco in the tank, and I drop one algae disc/pellet in per day.

Tony

Sounds like you're doing just fine Tony. Do you know what kind of baby pleco you have?

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know what type of pleco he is--the store had him labeled under a contrived common name of "rocksucker."

He's dark brown with light tan spots, and active mostly during the daytime. His pectoral and anal fins are somewhat rounded (almost like a freshwater ray), and I can't see a pronounced dorsal fin yet. He sticks to surfaces in the tank, occasionally zipping through the water to reach another surface. I've never seen him eat any of the food that I drop in (brine, bloodworms, flakes, or algae pellets), but he's active and growing.

Tony

There are literally hundreds of pleco species. Glad yours is doing fine. If you could post a pic maybe one of our species experts like Furitbat, Toirtis, or madasafish can ID it for you. Be nice to know which one you have. :wink:

Ok, here's a pic of the little spaz---any help with ID is appreciated.

I'm thinking Snow King (aka common?) pleco. Though his being a clown would be nice!

ed. Oops--sorry for duplicate picture.

Ok, through pure luck I have ID'd him as a loach.

Thanks, guys, for your help! (sorry if I was misleading on the Pleco idea) I discovered the info while trying to ID another of my fish.

Hillstream Loach - Beaufortia kweichowensis.

The coloring is inverted, but his stomach is exactly the same, so I'm at least in the ballpark.

Check out the link if you're interested:

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/beaufortia_kweichowensis.html

I was going entirely on the coloring, and didn't even notice the figure 8 shape in the picture at the angle he is sitting. Oops.

Back
Top Bottom