Background Problem!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have been working on a stand for a few weeks now (DIY section) and just got to the inside of the tank this weekend. I have bought a lot of stuff but haven't messed with anything because the stand was the primary element.

So I tried dry fitting the background with the overflow this afternoon and DOH!!!! She don't fit!!! The tank is a 55gal tall. It's 30" wide. The center brace has tripped me up now. So what should I do?

• Should I try cutting the background in 1/2 along rocks and glue it back together in the tank?
  • Should I try to remove the top trim and silicone it back on? Is this possible without breaking it??
  • Should I cut the middle brace and try to repair it later?
toobig.jpg

t0obig.jpg

Ouch ... that's a weird brace ... haven't seen one go diagonally before. I'd say go with choice one ... one thing I've learned from this forum is the importance of the top trim and bracing.

I think that's my angle. It's a straight brace in the middle. The background is at an angle from the front corner to the back brace. So choice number 1.... can I get it off without breaking it and how hard is that going to be?

Never cut or remove that brace! Helps brace front and back glass, theres gotta be another way gd luck!

I really don't want to cut the brace but I have read about many repairs to damaged and cracked ones by gluing acrylic to both sides and nylon bolts. My thought was cutting it and fixing it.

Why not just cut the wood in half.. Glue it back with aquarium glue..

That's option #1. I just don't know if you'll be able to see the cuts, if I'll end up destroying it or anything else.

How thick is the wood? And where did u
purchase it if you dont mind me asking?

It's actually a really hard industrial foam. I purchased it from Designs by Nature. You can cut them and glue them etc. I just got the thing though and I'm nervous about cutting it and maybe ruining it. I think what I'm going to try and do tomorrow is mess with the trim and see if I can get 1 side to wiggle a bit. If it's not looking like it will budge I think I'm going to cut the background along the center with the rock shapes and glue it together inside the tank.

if it's a foam, would it be possible to cut it with a hacksaw along some of the lines in the formation? maybe get a round hacksaw blade, that would probably work best. that way, it would be less obvious that you had cut it since it'll follow the cracks that are already there.

What do we think if this plan? I can cut under some of the protruding formations and cut in a 45° angle so the cut isn't straight on. Thoughts?

backgroundcut.jpg

mrbee2828 said:
What do we think if this plan? I can cut under some of the protruding formations and cut in a 45° angle so the cut isn't straight on. Thoughts?

That's the route I'd take. I'd use a drywall saw to make the cuts. It's small enough that you can work it through tight corners.

mrbee2828 said:
What about gluing this thing back together? What should I use you think? Just silicone?

I'd just use aquarium specific silicone to adhere the pieces directly to the tank. Don't worry about sticking the two pieces back together, if you make a clean enough cut the seams will be invisible anyways. If you tried sticking them together you might get some silicone squeezing out at the cut seam.

Back
Top Bottom