Backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone,

Would anyone like to share what kind of background they like in their tanks? I had plain black for awhile, which really made my plants pop, and now I have one with a picture of rocks and plants. I don't think I like it much.

Thanks for any input.
D

My background is no background.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1436489677488.jpg
    1436489677488.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 117
Mines black I love how all of the colors of the fish stand out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Painted the back blue

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've tried 3d backgrounds, pictures of rocks and plants etc, I prefer painting the back of the glass black or blue.

When I bought my latest tank the previous owner had painted the back black, I always had a rock and plant picture previously. I nearly didn't buy the tank because of the painted back glass, but it was a bargain. Now I would never put a picture background and always have black.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436651528.697168.jpg

I like this blue with an underwater pattern on it. It makes the plants and neons really stand out. I used to have one with a greener tint but it made it look like my water was green.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

Yes it does! And brightens the room.

I'm going to be trying my hand at photographing the tank after its dark out, so i may be regretting not having a black background.

I like black on regular tanks and for rimless tanks frosted window contact paper.

Are u guys using a gloss or flat black. Is there any prep being done to the glass other than degreasing. Is it best to spray or roll. What paint is being used

Are u guys using a gloss or flat black. Is there any prep being done to the glass other than degreasing. Is it best to spray or roll. What paint is being used

I used a paint roller because of the tank size and it was already set up, spray paint is a little easier if you can do it outside without tank set up.

I used cheap Walmart acrylic paint. Like $2.50 for an 8oz bottle and I used half of it.

Caleb

My current tanks have either black or no background. In the past I used aluminum foil on a tank that had a dark theme. I also did an Asian biotope and used brown paper (grocery bags) for the background.

For me, I like the graduated blue for a plastic background.

Or the deep blue. The black Eco-Complete substrate seems too black/dark with the black background. My 72G came stock with a black panel in the back so I can't just paint it, though, recently traded for a 3D background for my 72G but haven't had time to install it yet. Planning on the change over soon.

Some cool other options are metal panels that go on screen doors or decorative metal pieces which are found at the hardware store. I have done that with a nano tank long ago.

Back
Top Bottom