Backup Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smk83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all - I am new to the fish tank world and recently set-up a 55 gallon tank. I am in the midst of doing a fish less cycle (currently building nitrates and nitrites) and wanted the advice of the community:

I currently have ONE marineland e-280 filter for the tank. after reading multiple posts and articles, I think getting a backup/second filter would be a good idea. Can I just the second filter to my tank during the cycle process? Will this addition impact the cycle anytime? If a decide to add the filter AFTER the cycle is complete...can I simply add this my tank? i.e. how will I know the bacteria will build up since the first tank will already be doing its job.

I am trying to avoid starting a second fishless cycle specifically for the back-up filter. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

Just add the filter as it won't affect your cycling at all. It will actually give BB more area to colonize on and extra filtration is always a good thing.

BB will automatically colonize in a new filter and in regards to the question you sent me, there is no way to test this.

Further, if you choose to then start up a second or third or fourth tank (give it time ;) ), you can use filter media from your existing 55g tank in the new tanks to help get them cycling much, much faster. Some people keep a piece of filter media in their main tank that they can move to a quarantine tank if needed, for example, so that they have some beneficial bacteria already present. The only problem you may encounter is if you begin moving filter media between tanks that may have some kind of diseases present in them and run the risk of spreading them between tanks.

Hello all - I am new to the fish tank world and recently set-up a 55 gallon tank. I am in the midst of doing a fish less cycle (currently building nitrates and nitrites) and wanted the advice of the community:

I currently have ONE marineland e-280 filter for the tank. after reading multiple posts and articles, I think getting a backup/second filter would be a good idea. Can I just the second filter to my tank during the cycle process? Will this addition impact the cycle anytime? If a decide to add the filter AFTER the cycle is complete...can I simply add this my tank? i.e. how will I know the bacteria will build up since the first tank will already be doing its job.

I am trying to avoid starting a second fishless cycle specifically for the back-up filter. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry about that... You can add the second filter while your in the cycle phase, it will not hurt, it will start to grown your beneficial bacteria just like your other filter. Then you'll have 2 filters with BB, now if you grab another tank, just throw one filter on that tank and it will speed everything up!

Hope that helps.

thanks for the feedback all! I have a question on a new fish I added...i'll start a new thread for that.

Back
Top Bottom