Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bacteria question

I understand the premise behind the 'good bacteria' keeping the water clear, but I don't know what 'bacteria' look like. I just assumed (and yes I know what happens when a person 'assumes' ! LOL) it was mostly invisible. My question is about the 'brown gunk' that accumulates on the filter outputs and all the stuff that 'grows' in the tank, like the plastic plants and the filter tubes etc. IS THIS bacteria ? And is it helpful or harmful to wipe this gunk off when maintaining your tanks ? It looks disgusting, but IF that is the beneficial bacteria I'll leave it alone. If it's not, I'll continue to wipe it off whenever it gets really really crappy.
Thanks for any and all help. Laurie.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That "gunk" is decaying organic matter ie: fish poop, left over food and decaying plants. You can wipe it.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't understand how that could be leftover food, fish poop, or decaying plants when it grows on the filter output DISCHARGE shelf, which is NOT underwater. The water coming out of the filter should not have any of that stuff in it. It certainly does not look healthy, tho. Could it just be a brown algae ?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriezuki View Post
I understand the premise behind the 'good bacteria' keeping the water clear, but I don't know what 'bacteria' look like. I just assumed (and yes I know what happens when a person 'assumes' ! LOL) it was mostly invisible. My question is about the 'brown gunk' that accumulates on the filter outputs and all the stuff that 'grows' in the tank, like the plastic plants and the filter tubes etc. IS THIS bacteria ? And is it helpful or harmful to wipe this gunk off when maintaining your tanks ? It looks disgusting, but IF that is the beneficial bacteria I'll leave it alone. If it's not, I'll continue to wipe it off whenever it gets really really crappy.
Thanks for any and all help. Laurie.
Could you provide some pics? Typically what people are referring to is diatoms but I think I know what you are talking about. My spray bars will get the tanish/brown stuff barely sticking out of the holes. I can't say for certain but that I think is bb built up. Its only on my filter and nowhere else in the tank. Its definitely not diatoms as I have dealt with it many times.

Tags
bacteria, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com