Bacteria question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriezuki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I understand the premise behind the 'good bacteria' keeping the water clear, but I don't know what 'bacteria' look like. I just assumed (and yes I know what happens when a person 'assumes' ! LOL) it was mostly invisible. My question is about the 'brown gunk' that accumulates on the filter outputs and all the stuff that 'grows' in the tank, like the plastic plants and the filter tubes etc. IS THIS bacteria ? And is it helpful or harmful to wipe this gunk off when maintaining your tanks ? It looks disgusting, but IF that is the beneficial bacteria I'll leave it alone. If it's not, I'll continue to wipe it off whenever it gets really really crappy.
Thanks for any and all help. Laurie.

I don't understand how that could be leftover food, fish poop, or decaying plants when it grows on the filter output DISCHARGE shelf, which is NOT underwater. The water coming out of the filter should not have any of that stuff in it. It certainly does not look healthy, tho. Could it just be a brown algae ?

I understand the premise behind the 'good bacteria' keeping the water clear, but I don't know what 'bacteria' look like. I just assumed (and yes I know what happens when a person 'assumes' ! LOL) it was mostly invisible. My question is about the 'brown gunk' that accumulates on the filter outputs and all the stuff that 'grows' in the tank, like the plastic plants and the filter tubes etc. IS THIS bacteria ? And is it helpful or harmful to wipe this gunk off when maintaining your tanks ? It looks disgusting, but IF that is the beneficial bacteria I'll leave it alone. If it's not, I'll continue to wipe it off whenever it gets really really crappy.
Thanks for any and all help. Laurie.

Could you provide some pics? Typically what people are referring to is diatoms but I think I know what you are talking about. My spray bars will get the tanish/brown stuff barely sticking out of the holes. I can't say for certain but that I think is bb built up. Its only on my filter and nowhere else in the tank. Its definitely not diatoms as I have dealt with it many times.

Back
Top Bottom