Bacterial bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have recently been fighting a bacterial bloom :( I have tired not doing frequent water changes, or frequent water changes none of those seemed to fix the problem, I have also tried using accu-clear which also hasn't solved the problem. I have tired adding more beneficial bacterial which also didn't solve the problem. The last thing that I can possibly think of is the filter media. I currently have Carbon (9 months old) sponge with filter floss attached to it bio matt and some black stuff in a bag which came with the filter.

My tank specs are
Heavily planted
DIY co2
Flourish substrate
2x 54w 6700k bulbs
Fluval C4 filter

Levels
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
PH 7.6

The tank has been set up for 9 months now

Have recently been fighting a bacterial bloom :( I have tired not doing frequent water changes, or frequent water changes none of those seemed to fix the problem, I have also tried using accu-clear which also hasn't solved the problem. I have tired adding more beneficial bacterial which also didn't solve the problem. The last thing that I can possibly think of is the filter media. I currently have Carbon (9 months old) sponge with filter floss attached to it bio matt and some black stuff in a bag which came with the filter.

My tank specs are
Heavily planted
DIY co2
Flourish substrate
2x 54w 6700k bulbs
Fluval C4 filter

Levels
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
PH 7.6

The tank has been set up for 9 months now

Why fight it? Bacterial bloom is a good thing isnt it? I'm going through the same thing due to a mini cycle on my 20 gallon. I usually just keep up with my water changes and it goes away on its own. I wouldnt add chemicals to get rid of it,

Why do you have no nitrates? Did your tank mini cycle? How long are the lights on for? Any direct sunlight?

Chronos313 said:
Why do you have no nitrates? Did your tank mini cycle? How long are the lights on for? Any direct sunlight?

I have never been able to get my nitrate levels above 0ppm and no my tank didn't mini cycle. The lights are on or 8hrs and no direct sunlight

Back
Top Bottom