Bacterial bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a rockin bacterial bloom happening in my tank right now. It started getting cloudy day before yesterday and when I got up this morning it was so cloudy I had a hard time finding my fish. The pic below is from yesterday, and roughly what it looks like this evening after a 50% WC this afternoon.

I am ~6 weeks into a fish-in cycle (long story) that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. I've had a couple of blooms before, but never this bad, and they've usually cleared within a day on their own.

My questions are:

- is this going to affect the nitrogen cycle adversely?

- and if so, what can I do to get rid of it, and prevent it from happening again.

Tank info: 15g column, tetra whisper 20 power filter w/ Seachem matrix & purigen instead of the charcoal that the filter comes with

Fish: 1 sunset platy, 1 peppered cory, 6 serpae tetras

Plants: amazon swords, java fern, cardinal plant, water wisteria, moneywort

Other things going into the tank: API Leaf Zone, root tabs & CO2 booster, Seachem stability & excel comprehensive, and a dozen or so beads of osmocote that I failed miserably at planting for my swords...they're sort if scattered around in the gravel thanks to rapidly melting ice cubes. Oops.

Water parameters as of this evening:
pH 6.6-6.8
NH3/NH4 0 ppm
NO2 0.25 ppm
NO3 0ppm

Before this afternoon's WC, ammonia was up around .50 ppm and nitrite and nitrate were both at 0. I use AmQuel+ to dechlorinate btw.

Whoops, forgot the pic...

From this afternoon

image-1438360617.jpg

And just for good measure, just now...

image-2527183379.jpg

It shouldn't adversely affect your cycle, however bacterial blooms can be a sign of a big loss of BB - or, a surge of ammonia. They are completely harmless, they are just an eyesore - usually they will clear up within a week.

Back
Top Bottom