Bacterial Bloom? Should I do anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyLoner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys

Im in the middle (hopefully closer to the end) of a fishless cycle. I had verty large ammonia spikes which I fixed with a water-change and now nitrites are also spiking wayyy off the charts. It should come down soon, so Im not too worried about that.

Another thing I see in the tank, when switching on the lights, is like white clouds of very tiny bubble-like-thingies. Im sure they are NOT airbubbles. I read about this before and his could very well be a bacterial bloom?

Shoudl I do anything or just wait for nitrites to get 0?

Thanks

hL

For one thing you shouldn't do water changes with a fishless cycle. You want the ammonia to build up to high levels so that the proper bacteria can be produced. I don't know if that has anything to do with the bloom.

Ammonia levels was VERY high, in fact TOO high as Ive been adding TOO MUCH pure ammonia to the tank. After that (6 days ago) I did a 90% water change and been adding ammonia to get to 5ppm since then. It takes so far only 12hrs to get the 5ppm ammonia down to 0, so that part is kewl.

Just the Nitrites now is VERY HIGH. The bacterial bloom could be from this?

Well that is probably the second part of the cycle. The ammonia gets turned into nitrites and then the nitrite bacteria starts to build up. Sounds like you almost have the ammonia cycle done, now just wait it out for the nitrite bacteria. Things should clear up. Kepp adding ammonia to keep those levels at 5 ppm every 24 hours. You are well on the way!

kewl!

Im well versed with the theory behind a fishless cycle. My attempt at it did not go exactly via the book though! hehehe. Always hold the test tube against the color-chart, not to let any light inbetween the testtube and the chart. LOL

I just thought that a water change "fixed" the bad ammonia levels when they were Off-the-charts high, that the same must happen now for nitrites too...

Well, waiting patiently then!

Back
Top Bottom