Bactria infection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted to start setting up my old tank which had Bactria infections on all the fishes I put in it, I don't know why. So after a year I tried again and it had the same problem, all the fishes died so I gave up. Now it's bothering me with out an answer, what really happened.

It's a 16 gal tank

Things I did wrong that might caused the problem

- Bought fluval canister filter and did monthly cleaning of the filter with weekly water change
- got white stones from the beach
- bought heater from eBay (fluval m series)knock-off I guess
Can't remember anything else I did.

What can I do to prevent it from happening again?? Because I'm setting it up for my mother in law and she promised me she will do weekly water changes and do her best to maintain and I don't want to let her down also how should I wash everything for a fresh start and prevent it. I do have a wooden decor which needs to be washed

Currently I do have a 30 gal tank i own and it developed just over a year and all the fishes are healthy so I don't know why the other tank won't start right,

I buy fishes from a well developed place (big Al's) I asked them and they told me its the stones but I tried with out stone the second time and I'm back to Bactria infection on fishes. :(
Please help.

The image of the tank I found online just to give you an idea of the look and shape.

Attachments

• image-3621594682.png
    image-3621594682.png
    23 KB · Views: 67
I'm gonna use eheim 2213 which is almost 3 times the filtration with new eheim heater and seachem and prime

i cant see the attached picture, however did you fishless cycle the tank before adding fish? or was this a fish in cycle?

what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

bacterial infections are caused when fish get stessed and their immune system is lowered, elevated ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels will cause stress and gill damage to fish.

i cant see the attached picture, however did you fishless cycle the tank before adding fish? or was this a fish in cycle?

what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

bacterial infections are caused when fish get stessed and their immune system is lowered, elevated ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels will cause stress and gill damage to fish.

I haven't setup the tank yet, but I didn't want to run in to the same problem again. As I remember the reading was.

Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 50 ppm

I will take a pic of the tank once I visit her garage, it's a U shaped aquarium

It was a fish less cycle using Bactria additives and prime for water treatment

well that is strange, if the tank was cycled then im not what else would have caused the bacterial infections.

You said you did a fishless cycle using bacteria but did you add a source of ammonia? Did you take readings to see if you got ammonia spike, then nitrite spike, then nitrates? Just trying to get an understanding of how you did it.

Did you add all the fish you bought at once or did you QT them first? Did you break down and disinfect the tank and all the equipment between you first total loss of fish and the second?

Also nitrates should be 20ppms or lower.

You said you did a fishless cycle using bacteria but did you add a source of ammonia? Did you take readings to see if you got ammonia spike, then nitrite spike, then nitrates? Just trying to get an understanding of how you did it.

Did you add all the fish you bought at once or did you QT them first? Did you break down and disinfect the tank and all the equipment between you first total loss of fish and the second?

Also nitrates should be 20ppms or lower.

I used fish food for the ammonia spike, and I believe the cause could be that my nitrates was hight, I added one fish at a time

Back
Top Bottom