Bad news today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I just got a phone call saying everything fish in my planted tank is DEAD! Unfortunately Murphys law comes in to play and I can't get home to the tank. Louisiana is experiencing weather we aren't used to and all of the roads are closed due to freezing. Everything was fine yesterday and then today dead! I have someone pulling all the dead fish out. This day is terrible!

Update

One angelfish is still alive. Going to have them do a large water change and add prime. Angelfish is shedding her slime coat. Only thing I can think of is the heater got stuck on.

You mentioned bad weather. Could it have been a power out? I lost some angels due to cold during a power out once. Glad you have one survive. Hope she makes it.

Power hasn't gone out. Yet. I'm hoping it doesn't. I have a generator just in case to run my 125 saltwater and my 55 planted.

I just did a water change two days ago and dechlorinated the water. Everything was fine when tested. My dad isn't the best with reading instructions so I can't have them test the water. Plus I don't know how long fish have been dying.

I'd have them keep a sample, i'd really be wanting to get to the bottom of this so you can make sure it doesn't happen again, i am very sorry to hear about your tank crashing. Please keep us posted.

What kind of heater and what kind of fish?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Eheim jagger heater
Stock:

3 angelfish
8 tetras
2 yellowtail congo tetras
2 boesemani rainbow
1 4 inch common plecostomus

Eheim heater are quality heaters. Maybe a heat spike due to somebody touched the aquarium heater ? Maybe somebody dropped a food jar in the aquarium causing ammonia spike ?

Maybe a giant silent killing disease ?

Maybe somebody wanted to experiment radioactive toxic biohazard nasty liquids to see effects on the fishs in your tank ?

Was the tank cycled ?

Eheim heater are quality heaters. Maybe a heat spike due to somebody touched the aquarium heater ? Maybe somebody dropped a food jar in the aquarium causing ammonia spike ?

Maybe a giant silent killing disease ?

Maybe somebody wanted to experiment radioactive toxic biohazard nasty liquids to see effects on the fishs in your tank ?

Was the tank cycled ?

The tank has been up and running for about 8 months now. Nobody touched the heater and nobody sprayed any air fresheners or chemicals.

The tank has been up and running for about 8 months now. Nobody touched the heater and nobody sprayed any air fresheners or chemicals.

I had a fly issues after the dude on the third floor died, and nobody found him before 2 weeks... A compagny came to our appartement without warning and sprayed a stuff called "Maheu&Maheu" in the air. All the flies dies out instantly, and the fishs followed the day after... :( I was so frustrated... At least it was only my first 10g tank when I was a noob :)

Sorry about your tank. I wish I had an answer. I live on the corner of East Jerusalem and BFE so nobody but my family would be around the tank. But my 125 Is doing fine.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The last angelfish just passed

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So sorry to read about your fish. If you get to the bottom of the cause do let us know. Hope you get your tank sorted and set up again.

I will keep everyone posted on what I find as well as the rebuild.

I'm no expert, but with the last fish shedding slime coat, could it have been water that was too acidic (ie low pH)?

Am very sorry to hear about your fish - must be upsetting and frustrating for it to occur when you can't be there.

I had a similar thing happen with one of my tanks while my sister was fish sitting for me. I did a massive WC and gravel vac, then went away for a week. 3 days later i got a call from my sister saying everything had died and she could barely get into my flat because of the smell. She got rid of everything in the tank bar the filter. I guess that overfeeding was the culprit since my food level had dropped massively in the container when i got home.

It's sad when you lose all your fish at once. They do have their own personalities and only people who have never owned fish think of them as 'just fish'. I hope you are able to get things running again smoothly when you get back home.

Back
Top Bottom