Bad Rachel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I went ahead and did a 1/2 water change, turned off my heater, and my filter so it would fuse out or anything then continued on with my buisness.... so when i went up to my room later that night.. it was awfully quiet.. I had forgotten to turn the filter an heater back on! Well i rushed over, turned it back on. And the water just became extemely cloudy. Rge heat hadn't dropped to much so i slowly raied it back up to 80. my question is, could this possibly killed off my bacteria in my filter, or will it start a mini cycle?

i did the same thing the other night, i forgot to turn the filter back on, which is the source of aeration as well as filtration in my tank. i shut off my tv and lights and was thinking, i noticed one of my tanks filters was running, but couldnt hear the other one so i hopped out of bed and flicked on the lights and sure enough i had forgotten, luckily it had only been off for about an hour, i quickly plugged it in, and no problems. my tank stayed crystal clear.

Well mine had been out for atleast five hours. Its also a source of aeration for my tank. My fish seem to be fine but i am just hoping it dosnt cause a mini cycle

There shouldn't be a mini-cycle just because of that. Was there any water in the filter though?

Power outages sometimes last longer than 5 hours. I have heard of someone having a power outage for 24 hours and didn't lose a single fish.

Don't worry about it. I once did a PWC and forgot to fill up both the filters on my 20 gallon, so they were just pumping but not able to move any water. I didn't realize it until my BF pointed it out to me the next morning! 8O All my fish were fine so I think you'll be ok. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom