Bad Rescue Habit Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am developing a bad habit. I tend to rescue petsmarts injured or deformed fish. First it was a lightning bolt shaped glofish. Now a one eyed cichlid. I think it may be an Acei Cichlid but Im not sure. So my 2 questions. The eye appears to possibly have an infection. How do you cure an infection to the eye? It looks a tiny bit fuzzy.
Second question will he be violent to my other fish. I have 2 African Leaf Fish and a Brown Knife (been chasing him around trying to "sniff" him lol). I would like to have some angels too. I am figuring for now I will just wait and see what happens. It may not be an Acei anyway though....

I hope you have several aquariums if you plan on saving all the sick fish at petsmart!
lol nah just the injured or deformed ones! No I will stop when I am out of room. The glofish was perfect since my Mom already has them.

Cichlids are notoriously infection and ick prone. Maybe try a tank with elevated temp extra oxygen and use marcynoxy or melafix cichlid?

Cichlids are notoriously infection and ick prone. Maybe try a tank with elevated temp extra oxygen and use marcynoxy or melafix cichlid?
Wont that hurt the other fish? I do not have a qt unfortunatly. I am mostly worried about the aggression because I think the infection may clear by itself. I have a clean tank versus an unfiltered tank at petsmart!

It could, not recommended for scaleless or inverts on the marcynoxy, the other 2 are natural and shouldn't give you problems- do you have cold water fish in there?

Godfan are your Private messages disabled?
No sir they shouldnt be.
It could, not recommended for scaleless or inverts on the marcynoxy, the other 2 are natural and shouldn't give you problems- do you have cold water fish in there?
I do not have any inverts but I do not believe the knife or the bumble bee cat will appreciate the meds.

I don't know much about cichlids so I csnt help you there but I applaud you for what you are doing!

Not meaning to sound crass, and definitely no offense meant, but I feel the opposite here. I know where you come from...... I am an animal lover, and hate to see any creature suffering, but purchasing injured/deformed animals or ones kept in poor conditions does nothing but serve to perpetuate the inferior conditions/care within the commercial pet trade. If I see anything like this, I attempt to take a picture without anyone seeing me, and then find an email address of a company exec (if it's a chain store) to report it...... I'll include a small note with the picture stating that I purchase with both my wallet and my feet, and my feet will take me elsewhere to spend my money when I see things like this. You never know.... the higher ups may not know the conditions of every store, or the fact that their suppliers are delivering inferior stock, but when you mention not spending money with them, things can get done...........

Not meaning to sound crass, and definitely no offense meant, but I feel the opposite here. I know where you come from...... I am an animal lover, and hate to see any creature suffering, but purchasing injured/deformed animals or ones kept in poor conditions does nothing but serve to perpetuate the inferior conditions/care within the commercial pet trade. If I see anything like this, I attempt to take a picture without anyone seeing me, and then find an email address of a company exec (if it's a chain store) to report it...... I'll include a small note with the picture stating that I purchase with both my wallet and my feet, and my feet will take me elsewhere to spend my money when I see things like this. You never know.... the higher ups may not know the conditions of every store, or the fact that their suppliers are delivering inferior stock, but when you mention not spending money with them, things can get done...........

this is kind of my thoughts as well. It's hard, I want to save them all too.

I would def suggest though that you get a hospital tank if you are going to make this a practice you continue with. You wouldn't want to bring something home and infect your healthy fish. Would sort of defeat the purpose of saving one to harm another you know?

As for treating, I can't really say. Clean water and Melafix are about all I have to offer which have already been said. Other than separating(which you said isn't possible) it to remove possible stress that's all I can think of.

I am starting a thread titled other "takes on how to rescue or help fish" and hope to hear many new points of view on this issue :D

this is kind of my thoughts as well. It's hard, I want to save them all too.

I would def suggest though that you get a hospital tank if you are going to make this a practice you continue with. You wouldn't want to bring something home and infect your healthy fish. Would sort of defeat the purpose of saving one to harm another you know?

As for treating, I can't really say. Clean water and Melafix are about all I have to offer which have already been said. Other than separating(which you said isn't possible) it to remove possible stress that's all I can think of.
Me and Marsh were just discussing this. I agree. My options for fish buying are limited and thankfully I have a pretty good Petsmart for the few fish I do buy there (I go LFS mostly). The petsmart is having issues with their filtration currently (if not fixed soon I will be contacting an exec) but generally they are very good and the better people on their staff know their stuff and tell the truth. I didnt realize he was infected when I purchased him unfortunatly.
I am starting a thread titled other "takes on how to rescue or help fish" and hope to hear many new points of view on this issue :D
I will be joining the conversation there.

Just to clarify I am not purchasing sick fish. Only the deformed or permanently disabled fish that can live happy lives but will not be purchased by the average consumer.

There are definitely types of cats that are scaleless.... Second thought- set temp for 80F and freshwater aquarium salts using half dose..... Cross your fingers and hope for the best... I would suggest isolation though.

There are definitely types of cats that are scaleless.... Second thought- set temp for 80F and freshwater aquarium salts using half dose..... Cross your fingers and hope for the best... I would suggest isolation though.
Temp is between 81-82 right now. It was supposed to be 80 but my heater is abit off. I am going to drop to 78 after the infection seems clear. It could just be the way his eye looks too.

Back
Top Bottom