Bala shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi y'all is a 60 gallon to small for a group if 4-6 bala sharks. And is there any other fish I could put in with them.

Hi y'all is a 60 gallon to small for a group if 4-6 bala sharks. And is there any other fish I could put in with them.

Ok this is kinda contreversial but honestly unless you have the money and space to huy a 1000 gallon or bigger you really dont have the means to care for balas. They are very active and 12-14 inches full grown. They are powerful to crack some glass even. Even a 150 is extrdmely inadaquete. A 150 long would only be a foot or 2 wide and that is barely enough room for them to turn around.

If you plan on getting a larger tank a 60 will work if they are bought small. They can get as big as 12"-16", but take awhile to get this big. When I had balas, I had Clown Loaches with them and had some Tiger Barbs with them. Loaches can also get very big, so if you did decide to house them in the 60 make sure you have the ability to keep a larger tank because one will be needed eventually. A 150 is a good size to look into, possible even bigger with that large of a group. You could look into redtail sharks, they don't get nearly as big.

If there's small and you can get fish the same size AND keep up with water changes it would be OK jest make arranges with some local pet store to have a trade in and you would like to get smaller ones and you can keep doing that. Small pet stores love it cuz they can sell them for more but they need to be healthy. This is MY Opinion....

If there's small and you can get fish the same size AND keep up with water changes it would be OK jest make arranges with some local pet store to have a trade in and you would like to get smaller ones and you can keep doing that. Small pet stores love it cuz they can sell them for more but they need to be healthy. This is MY Opinion....

I completely agree with this. Most residential aquarists cannot provide for a bala sharks needs

Bala sharks are like open water fish in the sense that they are always moving

I was thinking of a trade type thing. What's the care for bala's

They are skittish so don't spook them. They are social. Who are you going to trade them with? Most pet stores get lots of calls to take in tank busting fish so I hope that's not your plan

They are skittish so don't spook them. They are social. Who are you going to trade them with? Most pet stores get lots of calls to take in tank busting fish so I hope that's not your plan

Some LFSs plan for this. My LFS has a take anything policy so it wont get released. However they wont give you credit always...

It would be a local store, and I'm heading there today to talk with them. What food do they eat

My Lfs will take small fish like mbuna or community fish but they draw the line at tank busters. Some one came in with a pacu. It was on the small side but they didn't take it.

Ok this is kinda contreversial but honestly unless you have the money and space to huy a 1000 gallon or bigger you really dont have the means to care for balas. They are very active and 12-14 inches full grown. They are powerful to crack some glass even. Even a 150 is extrdmely inadaquete. A 150 long would only be a foot or 2 wide and that is barely enough room for them to turn around.

It's not controversial, it should be mandatory. Great post.

It really just depends on the LFS. My friends store loves doing this. He will even trade a larger fish for smaller fish of the same kind. Some larger bala sharks sell for $30-50, so he really makes off pretty good. Bala sharks are omnivores. They will eat your standard flake food, freeze-dried bloodworms, and vegetable based foods.

I don't like it when people buy fish like bala sharks to keep for a little while only to trade them in.

I don't like it when people buy fish like bala sharks to keep for a little while only to trade them in.

Nor do I. It's dangerous to the fish and half the time they'll be like "Oh my fish can still fit in the tank, it hasn't grown for 6 months but I'm sure it's happy and hea....oh it's dead" :banghead:

If you have a 60 gal or even a 150 don't buy the sharks

EVERYONE who buys them says they will upgrade when they need to they just don't think that upgrade will have to happen so soon

Most people who buy big fish have no intention of upgrading they just say that on forums to keep people off there backs

Its a shame but it will always happen

LFS shouldn't stick such large growing fish on such a large scale they should be special order then people wouldn't just go into a LFS and impulse buy

Back
Top Bottom