Bala Shark Lucky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
Interesting thing happened the other day. My 2 1/2 year old Bala shark decided to take a walk. How he managed to fly through a very small opening still remains a mystery.

He made it through the typical small slit opening in the back of my 125 plexi tank. Lucky for him my wife was home, heard a bang then the tell tale flopping sound of a fish out of water and investigated.

Imagine her surprise when she sees the Bala flopping on the floor behind the tank. Well a broom and a net later he is back ruling his domain. I know they can be jumpers, but man!!.

Attachments

• lucky_bala_170.jpg
    lucky_bala_170.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 134
2 1/2 years old ? Wow, how big is he ? Does he have any other bala friends in the tank (I heard they are schooling fish - and not really sharks, but a type of minnow !)

Tell your wife I said GOOD JOB !

I have 2 balas that are just over a year old, at least that is as long as i have had them and they are about 3-4 inches, and i just wanted to tell you that they are infact schooling fish. They are ALWAYS together... my poor flying fox tries to hang out too, but they couldn't care less if he is there or not. Maybe he was attempting the old "finding nemo" for his long lost friends haha

As stated Balas are definitely schooling fish. People have said that they become jumpers or even crash into the side of the tank when not in a school or in too small of an aquarium. They should be in groups of four or more if possible. (I see you have three that's not bad.) They need at least 120 gln. tank for their size as they are boisterous and need lots of swimming space.
Are you planning on upgrading your tank size soon for them? I hope you can as a 40 gln. tank is way too small for them. If not you should consider finding a new home for them as they are being stunted in that tank and it's obvious you care about them.
Kudos to your wife for being so quick with the life saving job.

i believe that the idea that fish size get stunted based on their aquarium is a urban ledgend type thing. There was a thread on here with an article that disproved that if i remember right. However I do agree that a 40 gal is too small for 3 balas... in time. Depending on their size. I have 2 in a 56 gallon and they are fine. If i were to consider my stocking load with all of my fish full grown i would be way over "optimum" however, they are mostly all juviniles. This causes a problem in the furture, and was caused further by my stocking before learning. I will deal with that when the time comes as should you. Stock limits is a very subjective manner as many factors come into play, especially maintance. I perform 50% water changes weekly with filter maintance every 2-3 weeks because im so heavily stocked. Just something to keep in mind until they do infact become too large which only means BIGGER AQUARIUM YAY!

joannde said:
2 1/2 years old ? Wow, how big is he ? Does he have any other bala friends in the tank (I heard they are schooling fish - and not really sharks, but a type of minnow !)

Tell your wife I said GOOD JOB !

I agree, she can be a "girl" at times but when the fish are involved she comes through. The two other Balas I have are a little younger than the one 2 1/2 year old, he's approx 6-7 inches at the moment so they can grown into my 125.

Back
Top Bottom