Bala shark with parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Soo... Ive been wondering if the reason my other two small balas were dying is because they had a parasite or something? My slightly bigger Bala seems ok, but we noticed yesterday that when we fed him blood worms and some brine shrimp, he has trouble eating now, and that one of the worms actually came out of the side of him! Like he has a hole or something.:confused:
We are worried. Any thoughts? Cures? We tested the water the other day and everything came back normal. I dont have the exact numbers at the moment but they were good.

I've seen severe cases of Bloat leading to the stomach exploding out the side of the fish, the wounds healed and the fish would eat but was no longer able to process food and was euthanized.

I would put the fish with a hole down, and give some thought on returning the others or rehoming them. It's just to small of a envoirment for a fish that will be 14".

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

Last edited:
Well he is the only one we have left. We planned on purchasing a 100gl tank next month when we move to our new house. So we were hopeing the little guy would make it by then. We know my tanks are too small for them. They were in the 36 gallon but the other fish started to bully them. The one seems much better and not stressed in my 29 gallon because its a peaceful tank. But Im sure he wont make it and I dont have the heart to put him down beforehand.
WHat causes the bloating in these guys?

Improper diet, stress, and high amounts or salt are causes for Bloat. If the fish has a hole in his side and can't process food that's a pretty miserable death, euthanizing fish is a part of this hobby so if it's something you can't handle maybe this isn't for you. I'm not trying to mean or cruel but letting a fish suffer is mean and cruel.

Well as long as Ive had fish this is the first time Ive ever had to think about putting one down, so im sorry if I sound like I cant Handle this hobby.

Then please tell me the best way to do that, because no, im not a fan of letting him suffer.

Thanks

0.0 that's a long list. I'm more comfortable feeding them to my Piranha then dropping them into Vodka, or any of the over suggestions.

HUKIT said:
Tricaine (MS-222) Finquel

Finquel works as well and can be purchased online.

I agree Finquel is a good option, I believe clove oil (?) can also be used in the same way. I would just add that these products anesthetize the fish...they do not instantly kill them. If you use them...you'll still have to do the deed, but the fish will not be conscious. Placing the fish into pure alcohol or other more "direct" methods need to be done to actually put them down after sedating them.

I know it's a touchy subject, but as Hukit stated, it is unfortunately a part of the hobby. I also hear many members use and prefer the ice water method that is touched on in the linked article. It takes a strong stomach, but blunt force trauma is definitely an option and can be quick and painless if done right (it is easier on larger fish).

A common misconception that floats around is to put your fish in a bowl and simply put them in the freezer. This is NOT an acceptable method for tropical fish. Euthanasia, IMO, has to be quick and painless. The freezer method is neither of those things. Again, it takes a strong stomach...but what I call the bag and brick method is heartbreaking, but effective. The next time I have to deal with it, I am going to do the ice water method previously stated.

Back
Top Bottom