Bala Sharks....how big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

My husband really loves the Bala Sharks and I have read a lot about them getting 12 inches....my question is....is this in the wild? Or do they/can they get this big in a home aquarium?

I have a 55 gal 4 ft long tank. I really think and have been told by a few people here that Balas are too big for this tank and I agree that if they get that large, they are. I guess my question is, have any of you seen a bala get this big? If so, how long did it take?

Some information out there is saying they are fine in a 4 ft long tank, others say not, still others suggest that most fish will not "outgrow" their environment. I really dont beleive that and just wanted to check what you fine people have to say about it.

TIA

I don't know how big they get, but fish can outgrow there tank.

My son has 2 in his 55g. They were between 2 and 3" at purchase, about a year ago. They now look to be about 5-6". If they keep going he's going to have to upgrade or return them to the LFS.

I think Jchillin has a couple.... See what he has to say.

it's not just their size that you need to take into account, it's also thier activity. i have 3 in a 75 gal tank and my tank is not big enough for them. they are schooling fish and need a lot of room to swim. they are very active fish.

That is what I thought. I have as of now marked them off my stocking list...I will hav to just explain it to him. :)

Thank you!

TwoHobbies said:
I think Jchillin has a couple.... See what he has to say.

Glad you have decided against it. TwoHobbies is right, I have two in my 75 gal tank. On top of that, it's planted. 8O

Bala sharks can get up to 14" and I've seen some that were in excess of 18". As mentioned, they are a schooling fish and are also underwater jets, probably the fastest of the cyprinids. They are also leapers and can jump right out of your tank.

Maybe you can talk him into getting that 125 gal? :D

Just to share, here's the bala sharks I had. Both passed away several months ago. Believe it or not, the smaller one was 6 1/2 inches. And the bigger one, nearly 13 inches (12+). So unless you get a very large tank, they won't be too happy.

bala10.jpg

There is no short answer but here goes...I have not entirely given up on the BGK. It is still something I greatly desire. But I think that until I can tell for certain that my husband will go for a bigger tank I should hold off.

It would break my heart to see this beautiful creature grow too large to be happy there.

As it is now there is absolutely no place to put a large enough tank. But we DO have plans to add on to the house again (we are just completing the new addition of a living room to our very small house which is why I finally have room for my 55 again). Which is why I previously stated I have plans for a larger tank.

It is my hope that when we expand the house again in about 2 years I can convince my husband to do a very large built in tank between the living room and the new addition. He is generally ready and willing to do everything I want him to do when it comes to building our home so I really do think he will go for it, but I can't really talk to him about it now because he is a bit overwhelmed just trying to finish the room he built for us this summer.

I think that a tank that I could see from both sides between the living room and my art studio/room would be so perfect and inspiring! Either that or as a divider in our very large master bedroom that is planned in a couple of years as part of the new addition. Since he is from a family of builders I know that I can truly have my hearts desire! But one thing I have found is that I tend to dream big and he has to pull me down to earth a little bit, so I don't want to end up in a situation where I have no where for my BGK friend to go.

I am fighting the urge to be impulsive and convince myself that within 2 years I will have a bigger tank, when in reality it may take 3 or 4 years before I really have my dream tank.

So I am trying to be a responsible adult here...and convince myself that this still gives me something to look forward to. My eventual goal and dream would be to have a BGK and Discus in a tank that is 8 ft long built into the wall complete with plumbing. Our water is perfect for frequent changes without having to add chemicals to treat it (unfiltered mountain spring water) so I think I will leave it as an eventual goal and grow into that as my skills and confindence increase.

I already have it pretty good with my 55 gal setup considering he plumbed in water for me and is adding an auto fill float valve to keep on top of evaporation and a drain to connect my vaccuum hose to, so no more buckets at PWC time, not to mention a custom built in stand so it can be perfectly level.

So I am now looking forward to starting small with my 55 again and stocking it with a beautiful, colorful, and lively community. I can already see my kids falling in love with fish too as I show them pictures of various fish (they are the true reason for the dwarf frogs).

So while I would love to just plan ahead and get the BGK I know I cant even broach the subject of the new addition and my future plans until some time has passed and my husband is not so exhausted from doing all of this construction in addition to his full time job. (I really do know how luck I am :) )

But thanks for all the info on the BGK and all of the other fish, because this forum and all of you fine people have helped me make some really important decisions about how to stock my 55.

From the bottom of my heart,
Thank you all!
Tori

Back
Top Bottom