Balanced Aquariums (by request)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hhmmm. Alot of people said the same thing as you. It wouldn't work, shouldnt try it. Remember that I Actualy had a set up like this and it worked. Circulation prevents sluge build up
Just to be clear, I didn't say it wouldn't work. All I said is that it seemed like a lot of work. I never said it wouldn't work. I was just clarifying the process and theories behind it.
I only said the thing about the plants because somebody else commented about plants taking up ammo more readily than nitrates. I didn't say you would have sludge build-up. I don't imagine you would with proper pwc's. I had filter issues once and had to step up my pwc's quite a bit, but the tank survived.

blert said:
Hmmm.... Curious. You never said what happened to this tank just that you HAD one. What happened to it?

I got into breeding swordtails so I had to convert back

Wy Renegade said:
Dirty in that they stir up bottom debris because they are bottom feeders, or dirty because of the amount of waste they produce? Actually they would be much better suited for this type of system than the livebearers that you are recommending due to their low demand for DO (dissolved oxygen), which is going to be in very short supply in the aquarium that you initially described. Hence the required addition of a powerhead to move the water and provide additional DO for the fish, as well as to helping out with other issues. Most people don't run DO tests on their aquariums because they don't need to, with filters and powerheads moving water ample DO is able to enter the water through diffusion to support the inhabitants of the tank. However, with the initial proposal (a stagnent tank) I can assure you DO would be a major issue.

You use plants to oxygenate the water

Mumma.of.two said:
+1
Yes. How long did you have it running? Months/years?

It might seem like I'm badgering you but I would just like some answers to my (and everyone else's) questions.

About a year until I took up breeding. And no it's not a normal tank without a filter. You guys want detail detail detail. Look it's just a basic set up.

absolutangel04 said:
Just to be clear, I didn't say it wouldn't work. All I said is that it seemed like a lot of work. I never said it wouldn't work. I was just clarifying the process and theories behind it.
I only said the thing about the plants because somebody else commented about plants taking up ammo more readily than nitrates. I didn't say you would have sludge build-up. I don't imagine you would with proper pwc's. I had filter issues once and had to step up my pwc's quite a bit, but the tank survived.

No the sluge was answer to ur question why need circulation

GhillieSniper115 said:
Waste build up? Just clean the gravel and do a water change.

Why would someone choose to do all that extra work? Why not just go with a bio filter?
I realize that even with a biofilter, it would need to be cleaned and have the water changed, but with the bottle and goldfish idea, it would need to be cleaned almost every day.

To ask the obvious question...why not just throw a filter on it and call it a planted tank?

Do you personally see benefits to this method? Honestly I just don't get the purpose of it other than doing it just because you (possibly) can.

GhillieSniper115 said:
About a year until I took up breeding. And no it's not a normal tank without a filter. You guys want detail detail detail. Look it's just a basic set up.

I'm sorry. I suppose it would all seem alot more believable if there where more details of your own tank like lighting, frequency of PWC, how long it was set up, size of tank, blah blah blah! (most of these have been answered now) I just wanted all the details because I was really into the Walstad tanks for a while there until I realized there where better and healthier ways to keep fish.

maxwellag said:
Why would someone choose to do all that extra work? Why not just go with a bio filter?
I realize that even with a biofilter, it would need to be cleaned and have the water changed, but with the bottle and goldfish idea, it would need to be cleaned almost every day.

If u were using a gold fish. I Actualy only cleaned mine once. The fish don't excrete as much waste as u thing

eco23 said:
To ask the obvious question...why not just throw a filter on it and call it a planted tank?

Do you personally see benefits to this method? Honestly I just don't get the purpose of it other than doing it just because you (possibly) can.

It's to go for a natural look at a low maintenance price, intheory. That's what ive learned out of it

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry. I suppose it would all seem alot more believable if there where more details of your own tank like lighting, frequency of PWC, how long it was set up, size of tank, blah blah blah! (most of these have been answered now) I just wanted all the details because I was really into the Walstad tanks for a while there until I realized there where better and healthier ways to keep fish.

Ya walstad didn't really know what she was talking about

What fish did you use?

I also didn't ask why it needed circulation. But thats ok. Theres a lot of posts happening here. I am not fighting you. I am just curious about a few things. Plants are indeed amazing at taking up nutrients, and well planted tanks can even have zero nitrates because the plants use them all. I put plants in my tanks for the benefit of the gas exchange/waste uptake, so I think I understand the idea.

GhillieSniper115 said:
Ya walstad didn't really know what she was talking about

Ok just to clarify a few things for my own peace of mind. The tank is like a Walstad but the differences are:
Regular PWC to prevent the build up of organic waste.
And.....?

You use plants to oxygenate the water

The amount of plants required to keep up with the oxygen consumption by algae, the elodea itself, snails, and the fish (especially livebearers) would be a huge quantity, especially at night. Regardless, you've nullified the point by adding a powerhead to the design, which allows for oxygen exchange at the water's surface. I'm not saying your upgraded design won't work, I'm saying the original design will fail long term.

From what I understand of the Walstad tank, the point is not a self sustaining tank that doesn't require water changes. IMO her main idea was relying upon soil and plants for biological filtration instead of the bacteria which we normally rely upon. Water changes would still be necessary. The point is that fish waste, when properly balanced with the amount of plant life, would provide the neceseary fertilizer for the plants. The plants in turn, use the broken down fish waste, as well as ammonia. This is fairly similar to a planted tank, except for 2 reasons IMO. One being that most people do not consider a balance when creating a planted tank, and rely on bacterial biological filtration for excess fish waste. The second being the soil is a key component in breaking down fish waste. The bacteria along with the soil would act just as the ones in lakes do. Thus when fish waste is balanced, these soil bacteria break down waste and organic matter into components which the plants can use, and no fertilizer is necessary. While water changes might still be necessary, it provides a less hands on experience than a regular planted tank, since no CO2 or fertilizer needs to be dosed.

That's my take on the Walstad method. There may still be mechanical filtration, aeration, and water changes, but less emphasis on bacterial filtration and fertilization of plants. Basically an attempt to replicate a lake in a small scale. Lakes have water movement, but instead of gravel and filters, rely on dirt and plants.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
From what I understand of the Walstad tank, the point is not a self sustaining tank that doesn't require water changes. IMO her main idea was relying upon soil and plants for biological filtration instead of the bacteria which we normally rely upon. Water changes would still be necessary. The point is that fish waste, when properly balanced with the amount of plant life, would provide the neceseary fertilizer for the plants. The plants in turn, use the broken down fish waste, as well as ammonia. This is fairly similar to a planted tank, except for 2 reasons IMO. One being that most people do not consider a balance when creating a planted tank, and rely on bacterial biological filtration for excess fish waste. The second being the soil is a key component in breaking down fish waste. The bacteria along with the soil would act just as the ones in lakes do. Thus when fish waste is balanced, these soil bacteria break down waste and organic matter into components which the plants can use, and no fertilizer is necessary. While water changes might still be necessary, it provides a less hands on experience than a regular planted tank, since no CO2 or fertilizer needs to be dosed.

That's my take on the Walstad method. There may still be mechanical filtration, aeration, and water changes, but less emphasis on bacterial filtration and fertilization of plants. Basically an attempt to replicate a lake in a small scale. Lakes have water movement, but instead of gravel and filters, rely on dirt and plants.

--Adeeb

Well said. I was starting to think I was crazy. Lol Now that I think about it remember reading an article about how people where purposely running their filter media under tap water to kill the BB in their Walstad tanks.

maxwellag said:
They meant to say "u think", not "u thing"...

See what I mean? Very confusing to follow.... I am typing on an EVO right now with a virtual keyboard. Not that difficult to proofread and edit! Especially with the AA app.

Sorry but IMO this sounds like Old Tank Syndrome! I don't see the point?? I guess I don't understand why you would go to this extreme, what's wrong with doing a tank the regular way versus this way when this sounds like more work to me?? I guess I'm missing something. You could just do the same thing outside and call it a bird bath, including the stagnant water and mosquito larvae ( would give the fish something to nibble on) lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom