Balloon belly mollies and neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kbt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can my four balloon bellies and 4 neon tetras live happily together in a 20 gallon? I know you are suppose to have a minimum of 5 tetras but one recently died from a to strong after jumping out of the tank while I was cleaning it.

Hi there!

That's a good size tank, they should be happy in there! You could add a few more neons, and a school of cories(Corydoras catfish) they are very peaceful, and cute!

Thank you I will for sure do that! How many cories would you recommend?

If you're getting Cory cats if personally recommend albino if you can they're a little more expensive but are cute with their little red eyes and from personal experience they seem to be a little more active than other cory cats. Just don't forget the sinking wafers for them or they may not get food

Keep calm and rock on

Where do you purchase them? I usually go to petsmart or petco but I have had bad experiences with our petsmart lastly with sick fish.

You can order them online or occasionally places like Walmart will have some. but petsmart would probably be your best bet.

Keep calm and rock on

You can order them online or occasionally places like Walmart will have some. but petsmart would probably be your best bet.

Keep calm and rock on

No offense, but Walmart fish are the absolute WORST!!! They take awful "care"(if you can even call it that) of their fish, and there are always sick fish in their tanks. At least for the 5 in my area. Besides that fish are cheap, and are not good stock. I personally will never support them....

Petco and petsmarts really depend some are better than others. I prefer petco as they have a 30 day guarantee on the fish. If you talk to the aquatics manager, they can let you know when they get a shipment, and you can get the fish before they hit the store and get sick....

Also check if there are any locally owned shops in your area, they are usually the best! What city are you in?

when you get cories do you need to have algae in your tank first or do you just feed them the algae wafers?

when you get cories do you need to have algae in your tank first or do you just feed them the algae wafers?

Cories are scavengers, more carnivore.... They don't eat algae, maybe algae wafers. They do love shrimp pellets!

There are wafers made for crustaceans and loaches. Mine seem to love them. I'll give the name as soon as I can check

Keep calm and rock on

Now it won't let me attach it but it has a few plants a fake holy rock and white sand.

Back
Top Bottom