Balloon mollies bullying dwarf gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cholifoli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys. I am new here, and new to aquariums. I recently started my first, it is a 20 gallon tall and has been cycled and what not. Anyways, I have 4 ballon mollies and a dwarf gourami in there. The mollies have the gourami terrified to come out of his cave. The mollies were there first, and we put the gourami in today. Any suggestions? Thank you!

I will give the gourami little time to adapt to the new home.

Normally the Gouramies are more aggressive than the mollies, but being the new to the tank maybe is stressing him a little.

Also the tank maybe small for the 4 mollies and the Gourami, try to add decorations as much as you can in a 20G tank to reduce the eye contact between the fish in the tank.

Welcome to AA!

Mollies in general are the more aggressive livebearer out of the other 3. Many have had mollies bullying other tank-mates (Including me).

Like said, he just needs to bet used to his new environment. There are many gouramis that are more peaceful than the mollies, not all are aggressive; The dwarf gourami on the other hand can be a bit moody. I think once he is used to his new home, he will be able to fend for himself. For right now, try and provide as many hiding spots to block line of sight.

p.s 4 Balloon mollies (get around 2-3 inches) and a Dwarf gourami (Gets around 3 inches) is not too much in my opinion.

Welcome to AA!

Mollies in general are the more aggressive livebearer out of the other 3. Many have had mollies bullying other tank-mates (Including me).

Like said, he just needs to bet used to his new environment. There are many gouramis that are more peaceful than the mollies, not all are aggressive; The dwarf gourami on the other hand can be a bit moody. I think once he is used to his new home, he will be able to fend for himself. For right now, try and provide as many hiding spots to block line of sight.

p.s 4 Balloon mollies (get around 2-3 inches) and a Dwarf gourami (Gets around 3 inches) is not too much in my opinion.

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, he is already starting to stick up for himself and they are leaving him alone. It Is nice to see him out of his cave, he really is a beautiful fish. As far as 20 gallons being too small, a friend of mine has 8 aquariums and helped me pick the fish. According to him I am actually under capacity, the local fish store I bought the fish from had the gourami at 3 inches and the mollies at 2 inches, plus I have a aqua clear 30 going in it. Thank you for the answers :).

Mollies can be very pushy with each other, but if your DG is a male he should come out of his shell. I had a female that never came out of hiding, but it also turned out that she was sick...

Mollies can be very pushy with each other, but if your DG is a male he should come out of his shell. I had a female that never came out of hiding, but it also turned out that she was sick...

I was told the male would better if it would be with mollies. He has begun to come out of his shell. Sorry to hear about your sick fish. I never thought I would enjoy having an aquarium, now I am hooked.

I was told the male would better if it would be with mollies. He has begun to come out of his shell. Sorry to hear about your sick fish. I never thought I would enjoy having an aquarium, now I am hooked.
LOL Watch out for MTS (multiple tank syndrome) I love my aquariums. I read an article about the health benefits of an aquarium. There are studies out there that validate positive health affects of having an aquarium, such as lowering blood pressure. They say that is why Dr's offices have them. :)

Interesting, I am a nurse practitioner working with an oncologist. He has an aquarium in his office, and come to think of it, that does make allot sense. As far as the MTS, I think it may be setting in lol. I am already thinking of another one, or maybe an upgrade to a 40+ in the next year. My partner loves it as well, but he breeds rottwielers so most of his spare time is invested in the dogs.

Sorry I was thinking 10G tank, even when I wrote 20G!!!

Too much reading , all different threads..

Good to hear that your Gourami started to get lose

Interesting, I am a nurse practitioner working with an oncologist. He has an aquarium in his office, and come to think of it, that does make allot sense. As far as the MTS, I think it may be setting in lol. I am already thinking of another one, or maybe an upgrade to a 40+ in the next year. My partner loves it as well, but he breeds rottwielers so most of his spare time is invested in the dogs.
Everyone should have something. :) My sister had a rottie. Sweetest "vicious" dog I ever met. I personally love schnauzers. We have two, and I will never have anything else.

Sorry I was thinking 10G tank, even when I wrote 20G!!!

Too much reading , all different threads..

Good to hear that your Gourami started to get lose

No biggie :). I am new to this so any and all feedback is more than appreciated. Especially when most of the people at the pet stores just want to make a sale. They tried to tell me that silver dollars would be ok in a 20 gallon and I am so glad I didn't listen to them!

Everyone should have something. :) My sister had a rottie. Sweetest "vicious" dog I ever met. I personally love schnauzers. We have two, and I will never have anything else.

I love them! We are expecting a litter any day now. I have a chihuahua who is my baby, it is hilarious to watch her sit on the love seat and watch the fish! She is fascinated by them. My 2 black mollies sit there and stare back at her. Again, I never thought an aquarium would be such a pleasure to have. I am glad I took the plunge and got started. Everyone I asked said that the 20 gallon was a perfect starter tank so I don't get overwhelmed. I am thinking that when my partner retires the rotties he is going to be done with it and we can focus on a bigger aquarium. Any advice on the next size I should go for?

55G

55 will open the possibilities of fish that you can have. I do have a 26G community, which I'm super happy with, but I'm already dreaming in a 55 or 75 Gallons

Cool, I will look into the 55 gallon when I am ready to upgrade. Anyways, do you guys think I can put (or would it be a good idea) 2 ghost shrimp into my 20gal with the 4 mollies and 1 gourami? According to aqadvisor I would still be understocked, but I would like some real world advice :). Thanks!

Yes in terms of stocking levels. The bioload of shrimps is super low, some people said that is almost neglectable.

In terms of survival I don't know, i don't have experience with shrimp, YET, but i'm sure somebody here will help you answering if the mollys or the gourami will eat or not the shrimp.

You could always try it. I just added red cherry shrimp to my betta tank just recently (without testing if it was safe first) and,they are doing just fine. It is always worth a try (also depends on personality of the fish; Some will eat shrimp, some wont. All jusy depends).

Back
Top Bottom