balloon platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verna81

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fish as my avatar I think is a cross between a ballon belly Molly and a wag platy. It was the only fry I found at the time. None of my other fish were pregnant. Or does this look like a deformed platy?

I have a fish as my avatar I think is a cross between a ballon belly Molly and a wag platy. It was the only fry I found at the time. None of my other fish were pregnant. Or does this look like a deformed platy?

its not possible for mollies and platies to interbreed. your platy that gave birth, must have had genes in it from a "balloon platy" and passed it on. were there any balloon platies in the tank you bought it from?

i dont think so. there were just platys in the tank when i bought it.

Welcome!

"Balloon" fish are, in fact, deformed fish. They have shortened, curved spines which can cause difficulty swimming, and IME they tend to be more sickly overall than non "balloon" fish. Sadly, "balloon" fish are being farmed now because people think they are cute and they can charge more for them than a normal fish of the same species. I was not aware that balloon platies were available, although it would not surprise me.

hmm. thanks. the platys i have looked normal so i thinks its weird to have a ballon belly platy. but she is cute

Back
Top Bottom