Bamboo driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have purchased some bamboo of varying sizes from a garden shop to make a 'log' cave and some vertical/diagonal struts. I am aiming for a bamboo forest type look for my 2ft to-be-axolotl tank.

None of the labels said anything about treatment, and it just smells like wood. Is this safe to put in my aquarium? Has anyone done this, and could you give me tips for making it sink? It's even harder to get waterlogged than driftwood...

No idea how long it would take to make bamboo sink, quite a while i would think.

Not sure if this would work but you could inject quick drying cement into one of the 'chambers' of the bamboo to make it heavier and over come the buoyancy.

If not cement then anything that will set or make a hole small enough so you can fill it wil gravel, say the bottom two 'chambers'

ooh what a great idea, will have to try that.

any thoughts on possible toxicity?

i belive just busting out the chambers with a drill will help alot! that or maybe just all except the bottom one, so u can fill it threw the top.

I have read that bamboo (as driftwood, not living bamboo) will begin to smell pretty bad in a short while when submerged in an aquarium. It's not really a wood, it is more of an grass stalk.

hmm thanks for that sicklid. i am soaking it now, so i will see how it holds up. i may need to coat it with polyurethane or something to seal it if it does start to rot.

Yeah i'd coat it with something to stop rotting.
And then make a small hole from the top to the bottom to allow water to enter.

Back
Top Bottom