Bamboo Shrimp keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you keep Bamboo Shrimp, what kind of fish do you keep with them?

I have 6, 4 Asian & 2 African. They are presently with Bolivian Rams, Ottos, Endlers, Corys, Harlequin Rasporas & Featherfin Rainbows.

Hi Michael, I would like to know as as possible much about Bamboo Shrimp compatability as i intend on getting some for my new tank.

At the moment I have decided on 4+ Cories and 6 or more Rummy Nose Tetra, that's it so far! Ah yes and 2 Bamboo shrimp! :D I was looking at Keyhole Cichlids aswell as other dwarf Cichlids like Bolivians.

I don't know if you have already but if you go to http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html then they have some useful info on them.
It does say that most cichlids are a potential danger to them regardless of size! :(

I have 2 in with some 4" goldfish - no issues.
I have 2 in my large tank with some 3" angels, gouramis, fire mouth meekis, bettas (make and female), several kinds of tetras, gold severums, and snails.
I used to have 1 in a 10g with black mollys and gold swords. I think she escaped...
I current;y have 4 in quarentine wiht 3 female bettas and some baby cherry shrimp.

I have one with 4 Angels, 5 Rummies, 5 Serpaes, and 5 Cories. He is the master of his domain. lol Nobody messes with him.

I don't mean to hijack your thread Michael but how do either of these stocking lists sound with regards to the safety of the Bamboo Shrimp?

6-8 Rummy Nose Tetra
5+ Panda or Julli Cories
2 Keyhole Cichlids or Bolivian Rams
2 Bamboo Shrimp

From the posts above it seems like the Bamboo's would be fine, would it help if the Bamboo's were one of the first into the tank? Or at least before the Dwarf Cichlids? (The tank is a 20gal long)

I don't see anything wrong with the stocking you outlined. Bamboos need an established tank so I would add them last. The substrate and decor needs to be "dirty" since they feed off of algae and left over food.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Satsumas, I did check out Petshrimp but the folks there believe in shrimp only tanks and when you post about fish in the tank they discourage you greatly. I think your stocking is great but, if possible, I would consider a 30 gallon or larger instead of a 20.

I've had my Bamboos for 3 years now and I want to move them to my 300 gallon tank. I have 50 Amono shrimp in the tank and non of the fish bother them however I am concerned with the Bamboo Shrimp and my Kabotai Botias and my Cockatoos. I know they will be fine with all the other fish in the tank. So, has anyone kept the Bamboo Shrimp with any type of Loach or Apistos?

Satsumas said:
It does say that most cichlids are a potential danger to them regardless of size!

when people say "dont keep cichlids with this or that" they usually refer to african cichlids, who even the most innocent looking one, is going around pissing the other fish off when you arent looking.

south american cichlids tend to be friendlier, (whens the last time you came home and found a dead pleco in your bolivans mouth?

i'd deffinately get some first hand accounts, but if keyholes are S amer. it looks ok

Oh right, yeah South American Cichlids do seem to be a hell of a lot more peacefull compared to African Cichlids. They are still 'Cichlids' though so i always bare caution.

Bamboo's get to about 3" don't they? So that rules out a meal for most community fish?
What is the reccomended tank size for a couple of Bamboo's? I tend to think of them as slow moving filter feeder's so my 20 gal long should be ok surely?
I will do some more reading anyway, it gives me something to do as i wait for my light fixture to arrive!

I had 2 Bamboo's in a 20 high with Endlers, they were fine but I was looking at the other fish and I thought that the 6 - 8 Rummynose and 5+ Corys would be a bit active for a 20 long. jmo

Let me add that the Bamboo SHrimp like to climb so a tank a little taller with a nice Anubius plant would be great for them.

Oh right. Well i plan on getting a small school of fish and i took to rummy nose's, the cories i plan to get will either be panda's or some of the other smaller variety. I can't see them being too active for the tank, there should be (if all goes to plan) a good amount of swimming space in and amoungst the plants and enough hiding places for the fish that need them.

I would like to see the shrimp venture upwards and they should be able to climb up the plants i plan on getting, also i am after a tall, brancy piece of wood so no doubt they would climb on that aswell.

I have a bunch in with:

Bosemanni rainbows
Turquoise rainbows
Platys
Paradisefish
Banjo cats
Yoyo loaches
SA bumblebee cats
Bristlenose cat

Wow I'm surprised the barbs don't pick at the shrimp lovemybarbs. My tigers are nosey little buggers and constantly nip at the MTS and pond snails (not to mention each other)...

Back
Top Bottom