Barb and loach shoals in a 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm converting one of our bedrooms into an office and was planning on setting up a 20 long in there. I've been wanting to do loaches and barbs for a while, and figured that this might be a good opportunity. I imagine that a shoal of 7-8 Dwarf Chains would be best for a tank this size. I was originally going to do 8 or so Cherry Barbs but was wondering if Tigers would work in this tank instead. I don't know if there's enough vertical space or if they'll nip the Dwarf Chains.

Thoughts?

Tiger barbs are pretty aggressive personally between the two I would stick with the cherrys - I know the loaches stick to the bottom but I would rather be safe than sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also tiger barbs get pretty big- like 3 inches so a group of them would take a lot of space while cherrys will only get about 2 inches so they would last longer in a 20 than tigers

A friend has a group of Rosy Loaches in her 20L. http://www.loaches.com/species-index/tuberoschistura-arakanensis

She also has Multi Banded Loaches
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yunnanilus-cruciatus

DCL are very cool. But they hit 2.5". They are very active. I would think a 20L might be a bit small for them ? http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-sidthimunki

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+885+1587&pcatid=1587 I see LA recommends 30g or more.

My friend who is a long time member of Loaches Online said DCL need space and can annoy some fish as they are so active and zippy. DCL like groups of at least 5 or 6 bare minimum.

I would love to own some DCL ( aka Sids) someday. But they are becoming endangered. So if I had them, they'd be in a 40Breeder species tank to breed.

Thanks for the replies, especially the loach info. It sounds like I'd have to do a species-only tank with DCLs in a 20 long, and even then it'd be a half dozen max and iffy. I'd guess that Rosys and Multi-banded are not easy to find and I'd have to do mail order. The Rosys would look weird with Rosy Barbs, but the Multi-bandeds might work.

I've always liked Tiger Barbs, but they present so many compatibility problems. I'd guess that they'd be species-only in a 30" long tank and I'd probably be limited to eight or so. Not sure if I want to go that route.

You're Welcome. Tiger Barbs are compatible with other fast fish without long fins. In a large tank with a large group of tiger barbs they may leave other fish's fins completely alone.

DCLs are awesome fish, I have a school of 12 in my 75g. Unlike most loaches, they do not stay strictly to the bottom level. They're total clowns that can annoy their tank mates with their boisterous antics and tendency to play "Follow the Leader" with other tank mates and rolling-ball-of-fish-across-the-whole-tank games ;)

I believe almost all of the DCLs available today are captive bred, as they are illegal to collect in the wild due to their endangered status. They're very difficult to breed in home aquaria, but there are fish farmers in Asia that have found a way to do it reliably using hormones.

Tank mate-wise, you can have tank mates with them in the 20g long. Their bioload is pretty reasonable, and they don't get very large. A 20 long has enough length that they can race around and burn off their energy. Make sure they have enough friends (a school of 8+ is best) to chase and they shouldn't bother their tank mates too badly. Stick to fast tank mates that don't mind the the DCL's ADD tendencies ;)

DCLs are awesome fish, I have a school of 12 in my 75g. Unlike most loaches, they do not stay strictly to the bottom level. They're total clowns that can annoy their tank mates with their boisterous antics and tendency to play "Follow the Leader" with other tank mates and rolling-ball-of-fish-across-the-whole-tank games ;)

I believe almost all of the DCLs available today are captive bred, as they are illegal to collect in the wild due to their endangered status. They're very difficult to breed in home aquaria, but there are fish farmers in Asia that have found a way to do it reliably using hormones.

Tank mate-wise, you can have tank mates with them in the 20g long. Their bioload is pretty reasonable, and they don't get very large. A 20 long has enough length that they can race around and burn off their energy. Make sure they have enough friends (a school of 8+ is best) to chase and they shouldn't bother their tank mates too badly. Stick to fast tank mates that don't mind the the DCL's ADD tendencies ;)

Zebra Danios, perhaps?

Thanks for the info.

Yep, Zebra Danios should do fine with them (behavior-wise). They like slightly different temperature ranges, with the Danios preferring cooler temps while the loaches like it warmer, but they do overlap in the 75F-78F range. That would be one crazy active tank :)

Might Harlequin Rasboras tolerate DCLs? IIRC, they tend to inhabit the upper half of the tank and that might keep them out of the way most of the time.

Harlequins are small enough that the loaches are less likely to try to investigate them, and swim high enough in the water column that they should be out of the way of the "loach racetrack". They do like a little calmer waters than the loaches, but they're usually adaptable enough to handle the faster waters. If you go with the rasboras you might want to have a larger school of them (10+) so they're not as intimidated by the activity and higher flow. They have pretty small bioloads, so you should have room for both a good sized group of them and a moderate sized school of loaches. I tried plugging 8 loaches and 10 rasboras into Aqadvisor and it was only estimating a 20 long at 62% stocking level.

Thanks, I will definitely consider that.

My Petsmart has some 40 gallon breeder tanks in stock and the dimensions on those are awfully attractive. Unfortunately, this is an 11' x 11' room with two closets and I need to fit my work desk and a loveseat in there before I can even think about the tank. Further complicating matters, I need to situate it so that my cats can't sit in front of the tank or easily leap onto the lid. I could do a 29 and might be able to do a 36 bowfront, but that's about it.

If you can loft the bed do it and put the love seat under it! BAM! Room for a tank ;)

Thanks, I will definitely consider that.

My Petsmart has some 40 gallon breeder tanks in stock and the dimensions on those are awfully attractive. Unfortunately, this is an 11' x 11' room with two closets and I need to fit my work desk and a loveseat in there before I can even think about the tank. Further complicating matters, I need to situate it so that my cats can't sit in front of the tank or easily leap onto the lid. I could do a 29 and might be able to do a 36 bowfront, but that's about it.

I'd vote for the 36 bowfront, they're gorgeous tanks :) The 40g breeders are nice too, but they're very shallow and not as easily viewed.

I'd vote for the 36 bowfront, they're gorgeous tanks :) The 40g breeders are nice too, but they're very shallow and not as easily viewed.

Yes, but the 40B are great for plants. Easily lit. And lots of floor space :)
Just gotta put it at eye level.

Oh my tanks are under 10 gallons so anything larger makes me jealous ?

Yes, but the 40B are great for plants. Easily lit. And lots of floor space :)
Just gotta put it at eye level.

Oh my tanks are under 10 gallons so anything larger makes me jealous ?

Ahh yes, if you're aiming to grow lots of plants then the 40B is the better one. Thats what I use for my primary plant grow-out tank :)

I have my 36g bowfront as a DIY GloFish tank with all my live plants down in the sump, so the height and bowfront aspects just made the "wow" factor even better ;)

You mean you need to USE your room ? LOL. I'm picturing a tall bunk bed over a large fish tank ?

Yeah, I work out of the house so, unfortunately, I will need to set up a large work desk in there. Was taking measurements last night and it looks like the loveseat will have to be downgraded to a rocking chair. Still room for a tank, though! (y)

For what it is worth, another great loach option is the red sumo loach. Schistura cf. balteata — Loaches Online
These guys are amazing. I have kept them for years, and they are a blast.
As for harlies, they are wonderful little fish that are quite adaptable. they are really not one I have ever had an issue with being shy in situations, and I honestly think they would be totally fine with the chain loaches. Though, personally, I am all about the cherry barbs. Gorgeous colors, hardy, not nippy, not easily stressed or shy. I far prefer them over my experiences with tiger barbs or zebra danios. Though, danios are fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom