Barb or no barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flvol77

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am ending my cycle on a 55 gallon tank - not planted, a lot of fake coral and plenty of places to hide.

Here is what I have so far.....the question is can the barbs and Angelfish coexist? Opinions have been mixed, I am setting up a 29 gallon tank that the Barbs could go in if they can't coexist.

I put everything in AqAdvisor and everything seems to work out. Thoughts?

I am open to anything, I really want a couple of Angelfish though.

5 Cherry Barbs (these have to go in first because I am transferring them from another tank that I want to shut down, I have 3 now and was going to add two more because the suggestion was they are better in 5)
1 Stripped Raphael Catfish also going into the tank first because of the small tank I shutting down.
5 Diamond Tetra
5 Boesemans Rainbow fish
2 Angelfish

I dont know about cherry barbs but I had 3 red tailed glow barbs with 3 glow tetras and a dwarf gourami. the barbs killed the tetras and gourami then killed each other till there was one (like highlander)! Iv herd that if there kept in schools of 5 there not as aggressive Im not sure though. Id like to get some tiger barbs and a few angle fish my self, but Im hesitant sense my last experience with the glow barbs.

I dont know about chary barbs but I had 3 red tailed glow barbs with 3 glow tetras and a dwarf gourami. the barbs killed the tetras and then killed each other. Iv herd that if there kept in schools of 5 there not as aggressive Im not sure though. Id like to get some tiger barbs and a few angle fish my self, but Im hesitant sense my last experience with the glow barbs.

Tiger barbs will nip the angels well and good. They don't mix well at all as tiger barbs are quite aggressive fin nippers.

As far as keeping cherry barbs, tetras, and such, they are schooling fish and really will do much better by getting at least 5 of the varieties you want in your tank. How many different schools will depend on tank size. If you have had experience with two varieties not getting on well, I'd avoid mixing again. I've had cherry barbs with zebra danios (schooling fish), angels, and gourami in one tank without issue.

Sounds like I have my answer, so the next question can 3 cherry barbs and a stripped Raphael catfish keep the bio filter strong until I get more fish on a 55 gallon tank?

I will obviously go with these 4 first, then 2 more cherry barbs, 5 Diamond tetras, then the 5 rainbows and then the Angelfish last. Or at least that was my plan.

I have a 5 gallon fluval chi that I was going to convert over to my quarantine tank. Thoughts?

Sounds like I have my answer, so the next question can 3 cherry barbs and a stripped Raphael catfish keep the bio filter strong until I get more fish on a 55 gallon tank?

I will obviously go with these 4 first, then 2 more cherry barbs, 5 Diamond tetras, then the 5 rainbows and then the Angelfish last. Or at least that was my plan.

I have a 5 gallon fluval chi that I was going to convert over to my quarantine tank. Thoughts?

You don't want to over do it with fish right away so I think you'd be fine to start off with the cherry barbs, even adding the full school. From what I understand, bottom feeders like catfish are usually better to put in near the end to ensure you do have enough build of good stuff in your tank. Otherwise I think you're fine.

After reading my last post, I'm curious as to how big your angel fish is. If it's really tiny, you may have problems with it being picked on with the barbs. If it's an adult or even a bigger juvenile it should be fine. I'd stay away from nickel sized baby angels, though.

Yeah, a 5 gallon qt is probably a great idea.

You don't want to over do it with fish right away so I think you'd be fine to start off with the cherry barbs, even adding the full school. From what I understand, bottom feeders like catfish are usually better to put in near the end to ensure you do have enough build of good stuff in your tank. Otherwise I think you're fine.

After reading my last post, I'm curious as to how big your angel fish is. If it's really tiny, you may have problems with it being picked on with the barbs. If it's an adult or even a bigger juvenile it should be fine. I'd stay away from nickel sized baby angels, though.

Yeah, a 5 gallon qt is probably a great idea.

None of the fish other than the three cherry barbs and one catfish have been bought as of yet.

I was thinking it would take me a couple of months to add all of the fish, especially after I put them int he qt tank for 20 or so days.

None of the fish other than the three cherry barbs and one catfish have been bought as of yet.

I was thinking it would take me a couple of months to add all of the fish, especially after I put them int he qt tank for 20 or so days.

Yeah, you should be good then. As many here will say the most important thing is not to rush, don't overload on fish. I think you're on the right track. Since you already have the catfish, you may want to get algae wafers to make sure he has enough to munch on while your tank matures.
Good luck and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom