Barb Tank Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDouglas50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm still pretty new to aquariums and everything, but the more I learn the more fascinated I become. I sat in bed last night thinking about everything I can do to make a dream tank or the tanks I have any better... Seriously becoming an obsession :)

Anywho, back to the topic at hand. I was figuring whenever funds, and space, becomes available, I was thinking about getting a planted tank no smaller than 75gal with about 25+ barbs. I was thinking tiger barbs, black ruby barbs, and green tiger barbs for some nice color and movement to the tank. And I'm thinking of a female/male ratio of 4:1

The tank will not be for maybe at least another year, but there's no sense in not planning for something like this.

Any thoughts?

I've got a 4ft tank similar with small tigers, small rubys and large greens as well as zebra danios. Very fast moving fish, interesting at feeding time when u stick a freeze dried square of tubifex to inside of tank!!! Lacks a little colour though but think I need whiter lighting. Interesting just the same though.

Sounds like your tank is right up my alley! They'll make an absolutely beautiful tank ... the colors will be impressive. Research plants ... it makes a big difference for Barbs as well as the look .. low light plants will do just fine.
A black background with dark substrate will top it all off!

Consider including Odessa Barbs and Denison Barbs ... they'll add even more color and movement. If you can do a 75gal ... go for it ... that gives you the swimming room Barbs literally demand ... especially Denisons. Either way Barbs are so energetic.

I agree. I need more plants. My Tanks only been running for a month or so and still needs work. Haven't done anything with background either. But will maybe post a pic. Work in progress.!!!

Oh, I really like the Denison barbs :)

Yep .. absolutely Gorgeous fish! I found, unlike other Barbs, you can keep a solitary Denison Barb in a Barb tank. My first Denison was in the tank for over a month before I got it a buddy, and it was perfectly fine in that month with the other Barbs ... no issues.

However, they do express their truer behavior when kept in a shoal. My three do chase each other ... playfully ... around. If you can get 3 to start with .. go for it ... but ... they can be a bit ($20 - $30 per fish) expensive.

jcolon said:
Yep .. absolutely Gorgeous fish! I found, unlike other Barbs, you can keep a solitary Denison Barb in a Barb tank. My first Denison was in the tank for over a month before I got it a buddy, and it was perfectly fine in that month with the other Barbs ... no issues.

However, they do express their truer behavior when kept in a shoal. My three do chase each other ... playfully ... around. If you can get 3 to start with .. go for it ... but ... they can be a bit ($20 - $30 per fish) expensive.

Wow, I didn't see the price tag on them... Jeeze. At least I'll have some time to budget something in.

Would I have a problem with interbreeding?

Wow, I didn't see the price tag on them... Jeeze. At least I'll have some time to budget something in.

Yep ... Denison can be expensive, but you can find some at at Petsmart / Petco ... sometimes ... both of mine carried them for a while... but sold out in a couple of weeks. Very popular fish.

Would I have a problem with interbreeding?

If you mean Denison Breeding with Tigers, I have to say no.. I don't think they'd interbreed. Supposedly BlackRuby Barbs can interbred with Tigers ... the result I've read are GreenTiger Barbs? I'm not certain if it's true, but it's worth looking up.

Regular and Green Tigers are color variants of the same species, so I'd imagine they breed.

Any good Southeast Asain aquarium plants that are easy to take care of? I want the tank to be as close to nature as possible

a barb species tank is a Brilliant idea !

although - its going to be difficult to sex them (if they are juveniles).
Just purchase 6-8 of each variety, and you will definitely get some females :)

barb tank + plants + black sand = LOVELY! I love the look of the barbs against black. Very fun. After seeing the ones in my tank, I too will have a barb tank soon!

Back
Top Bottom