Bath procedure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can people please post procedure used for baths. 1. Intake baths ( people who use baths b4 introducing new fish and at what point you do this)
2. Treatment baths for sick fish

I'm not asking if these should or should not be done. So, I do appreciate your opinions, but I'd like for the thread to focus on procedure primarily b/c that is what no articles explain.

This is what confuses me: if I'm drip acclimating my fish for entry into a tank, how does one procedurally do a bath without totally stressing out the fish and/or killing it, whether the bath is intake or medicinal.

Every detail of your procedure is important to me.

Thanks in advance!

you don't bath them, it takes serveral days to medicate a fish for illness, you set up a small quarantine tank that the fish can stay in until you know he has no illness or you have finished treating him. A typical fish should stay in the quarantine tank for about 2 weeks. A quarantine tank protects your healthy main tank from catching the disease and spreading, then wasting money to replace fish and to medicate. Quarantine tanks are the way to go.

An optimal quarantine tank is a ten gallon cycled tank with nothing but a filter and heater, no gravel, no plants no decor.

Is it possible, people mean dip when they write bath? I believe I've seen, not sure if here or online, " salt bath". Would that be more accurately be a salt dip?

( I'm following that QT thread. It's a very good thread. If/when I add any fish mine are definitely going in QT 4-6 weeks)

Forget what I just wrote.

Thank you, Kushgodrex, you helped me to recognize and reword my googling to find the nuts and bolts of it. I finally googled it correctly to get the info and the procedure. There are dips, short term baths and prolonged baths. Procedure is explained here, but still a little unsure about the short term bath mechanics of doing it:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/VM/VM03700.pdf

Thanks, Kushgodrex, I read their stuff all the time. It's a very informative site.

I'm planning on ordering fish from them. However, they under rate required tank sizes for several fish. I mention this b/c I saw you're upping a few new tanks and I almost bought a fish rated 30 gallons that I ran by an old timer AA member, who said, " No way! Needs 48" length tank. ". Then, I started looking at other fish larger than what I could have and they are really out of wack with some of the min. tank sizes.

Yeah, unfortunately, the don't give the most correct information, but that's how company's in the pet business are doing it, only to make sales, no one has authority to do anything so they keep doing it.that's why people stress how important it is to research it.

Most requirements for fish are recommended for fish at the adult age, some people are fortunate enough to upgrade to a bigger tank when needed.
5 2 inch bosemanis will thrive in a 40g for months until they need to be transferred to a bigger tank.

Thanks, Kushgodrex, I read their stuff all the time. It's a very informative site.

I'm planning on ordering fish from them. However, they under rate required tank sizes for several fish. I mention this b/c I saw you're upping a few new tanks and I almost bought a fish rated 30 gallons that I ran by an old timer AA member, who said, " No way! Needs 48" length tank. ". Then, I started looking at other fish larger than what I could have and they are really out of wack with some of the min. tank sizes.

Yeah, unfortunately, the don't give the most correct information, but that's how company's in the pet business are doing it, only to make sales, no one has authority to do anything so they keep doing it.that's why people stress how important it is to research it.

Most requirements for fish are recommended for fish at the adult age, some people are fortunate enough to upgrade to a bigger tank when needed.
5 2 inch bosemanis will thrive in a 40g for months until they need to be transferred to a bigger tank.

To what standard are you comparing info given by different sources concerning number of required gallons per fish?

If a fish on live aquaria requires 40g, does that mean you cannot keep anything else with it? They reccomend at least 30 gallons for peppered cory cat. We are advised corys are kept in grous of six or more. So for a group of six, do we need 180 gallons and if so, would a couple of neons tip us over the edge of our stocking maximum? Of course not........It is a ridiculously vague recommendation with no scientific basis.

I've been to so many shops and websites and they always say something different, I use my freshwater test to tell when I'm over stocked and I watch my fish very carefully to tell who is working out and who isn't, it's more of a watch learn and adjust thing but care sheets provided help understand more. I understand what you're saying though

Pip, what you wrote, I've always wondered.

When my time comes to pick, I'm going to use the calculator, then pass it by one of the respected mentors here at AA.

Back
Top Bottom