BB or BABY FISH? See pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know what these are, new setup tank for two month.

Eheim 113
20gal
1 live plant

3 red platy
1 small angelfish

The big thing swimming around and very time things swimming around when doing weekly maintenance

Attachments

• image-360776550.jpg
    image-360776550.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 191
  • image-4280855165.jpg
    image-4280855165.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 154
Fishes are doing excellent.
Water perimeters

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

But should I be worried as it might cause some issues to the quality of water or fish?. If so anyway I can eliminate these things in the tank?

I am fairly sure the one critter that is fairly obvious is some type of insect larvae or an insect. I'd get rid of it, it may be a carnivore. Most surely not a baby fish of any kind. Some insect larvae can be harmful, I make a practice of removing any I find, unless the fish are eating them.

Amphipods, aka scuds, don't look like that. I've cultured them as fish food and I'm sort of fond of the little guys. They are slender, and seen from below, have a lot of legs, looking very like shrimp to which they are related. They usually stick close to the substrate, move fast, can look like they are 'hopping' from place to place.

They hide mostly, being prey items, often come in on plants and are essentially harmless, unless you have newborn shrimp. They have been known to predate oin the odd newborn shrimp, but are not likely to kill many of them unless you have hundreds of scuds and they are really starving.

Scuds will eat plants if they are hungry.. so having them in a planted tank is perhaps not such a great idea. They prefer algae, but plants will do if algae is not available.

I am fairly sure the one critter that is fairly obvious is some type of insect larvae or an insect. I'd get rid of it, it may be a carnivore. Most surely not a baby fish of any kind. Some insect larvae can be harmful, I make a practice of removing any I find, unless the fish are eating them.

The picture I see is no insect larvae. Sadly, I've spent a lot of time looking at them.

Amphipods, aka scuds, don't look like that. I've cultured them as fish food and I'm sort of fond of the little guys. They are slender, and seen from below, have a lot of legs, looking very like shrimp to which they are related. They usually stick close to the substrate, move fast, can look like they are 'hopping' from place to place.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of species of copepods, amphipods, and the like. In FW, SW, and in between.

They hide mostly, being prey items, often come in on plants and are essentially harmless, unless you have newborn shrimp. They have been known to predate oin the odd newborn shrimp, but are not likely to kill many of them unless you have hundreds of scuds and they are really starving.

I think the pods dining on juvie shrimp is urban legend, internet style.

Scuds will eat plants if they are hungry.. so having them in a planted tank is perhaps not such a great idea. They prefer algae, but plants will do if algae is not available.

Again, Never seen proof or heard first hand experience. Urban legend. Unless something is way off, the "scuds" will never number enough to do harm. They usually pop up, provide a random food source, and disappear fairly quickly. JME

Copepods reside both in fresh water and salt water, as do amphipods. That really looks like an amphipod to me, I have at least hundreds of them in my reef tank. I'd need a closer pic to know for sure. They are harmless and will usually get eaten in any case.

Reactions: HN1
Copepods reside both in fresh water and salt water, as do amphipods. That really looks like an amphipod to me, I have at least hundreds of them in my reef tank. I'd need a closer pic to know for sure. They are harmless and will usually get eaten in any case.

What do they eat

See video

yep, definitely an amphipod

They will eat just about anything they can get their hands on as far as I know

I'm glad I'm not the only be with a fondness for scuds :)

Back
Top Bottom