be nice to the lfs girl...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

and she will give you these. i bought a black and a white mystery snail, and she threw in about 25 of these mts's and a few regular snails for free. i got an idea from a cayse thread on snails and a justrelax thread on natural light tanks and started a small 2gal with a couple plants and snails in a natural light setting. then i can keep my main tank stocked with little snails for my loaches and mts to dig through the sand. the loaches keep beating up my big snails in there anyways, so i pulled them out after they killed one.

Attachments

• mts_458.jpg
    mts_458.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 25
  • mts_458.jpg
    mts_458.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 38
'Tis always good being friendly to your LFS staff! There's one guy (bout my age actually) who always comes to help and he's done things beyond duty such as help me fix the light fittings for my evil hood (I had to butcher the thing for external filtration piping and all sorts, it really was a pain!), sorted out rolls of filter floss for templating to my tetratec filters instead of buying the expensive manufacturers packs of the stuff, etc. etc.
If you're polite enough they will help you. If you're rude...well...you get what you deserve :p

LFSs aren't alllll bad even tho we have our horror stories about them :D

Menagerie, my yo yo loaches LOVE mts, and any other snail they can get. I brought home about 15 snails from work the other day, thinking the mts would root around in my sand. Wrong. They were all gone by the next day, and I had some very satisfied-looking loaches. My parrot cichlids even had a go at the pond snails! My severum munches down the pond snails too.

im growing attached to my snails, and having second thoughts on putting some in the main tank with the clown and dojo loaches, especialy the mts if they are just gonna be eaten. i have a cat named 'stop it' that sits mesmorized by the snail tank. the snails wasted no time setting up camp, digging in, mating, up and down all over the glass, i think i was bittin by the snail bug, lol.

Ok, you can't tell us that name and not tell us the story behind it. Spit it out.

lol, ok, but not to get off topic too much. i got 'stop it' the cat when her eyes were still baby eyes, the people insisted they wanted the kittens gone immediatly, she could sit in the palm of your hand. so she thought i was her mom, following me everywhere, and started out by climbing up my leg like a tree, hence, her first 'stop it'. then she was climbing the furniture, curtains, and anything she could dig into, hence the next 'stop it's'. then her favorite thing to attack in the mornings were my bare feet(which hurt like %#$), hence the loud 'stop it's'.

then she learned how to rip wallpaper off the wall, and drink from the fish tank, and make you trip going down the the stairs, and play with electric cords dragging things off tables, climbing on counters, tables, playing with the cords behind the entertainment center, hissing at the vacumme cleaner, and new things all the time. i wouldnt trade her for anything. 'stop it' the cat is cool.

We always get good discounts at LFS, we have actually befriended about 3 stores and work in 1.

I dont think cats are as cool as ferrets, we got 5 with 1 thats just been mated. We had 13 at 1 stage. I love all animals though :)

You are doing nearly the exact same thing I am with the natural light tank and mts (I added shrimp too). I want to know how it goes. Post updates!

i love watching my mystery Snail move around. My ghost shrimp kinda stays in the back muching the leftovers.

I would love a ferret but they are illegal in California for some odd reason.

I had always heard mixed results with loaches and mts. My tank with loaches is snail-less; I have tried to keep them in my sand substrate tanks, but the Mbuna and Lake Tang cichlids suck them down so fast :roll:
im growing attached to my snails, and having second thoughts on putting some in the main tank with the clown and dojo loaches, especialy the mts if they are just gonna be eaten.
The good news is once they get going, you will have plenty of snails and will be looking for a way to limit the population.

for all of you that think your loaches ate your mts ... have you tried diggin through the sand? I have 4 loaches and lots and lots of mts ... but you usually only see a couple shells above the sand (which then move and disappear next time I look at the tank) ... at one point I did a really thorough cleaning of my sand and found at least a hundred mts in the sand.

From what I've read since ... they are busy burrowers and are rarely seen when the lights are on.

Also, I'm pretty sure that my yo-yos haven't eaten a single snail as I've never found an empty shell.

My mbuna also ignore the mts.

Mosaic said:
You are doing nearly the exact same thing I am with the natural light tank and mts (I added shrimp too). I want to know how it goes. Post updates!

update on the natural light snail tank. it is doing really good. the one thing about it is how easy it is to care for. i have it stocked with live plants and the snails keep the tank clean. there are egg things everywhere and a few tiny new snails already. a couple of the mts are big and i am still afraid to put them in the main tank, but i am going to take a chance.

i like the tank so much, i am making 2 more like it out of small fish bowls. i want to add shrimp as well. oh yeah, im the 'guest' who started this thread.

Back
Top Bottom