beach rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danstroud1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi. i picked up some rocks off the beach whilst on holiday in turkey. i was wondering if someone could identify them and tell me if they are safe to use in my freshwater aquarium? in regards to doing a vinegar test, should the bubbles be a very noticible fizzing or just a bubble every now and then?
many thanks

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 83
Hello Dan, and welcome to AA.

Most people advise against using rocks found on beaches or public places. However, I have some rocks in my tank that I found on a private beach, and after testing them, they have been fine in my aquarium :D Use caution, and remember that choosing to add the rocks is your own risk!

As for testing them, if you have an API Master FW test kit, put a drop from nitrate test bottle #2 on the rock. This contains HCL (hydrochloric acid) which is a much stronger acid than vinegar. This is a better test! :)

Any bubbling = no go, IMO.

Unfortunately, my rock identification skills are slim to none. If you have a snail or fish to identify, though, I could probably help ;)

Tough to say from the pictures, but top two could be a type of slate, but definitely a sheeting sedimentary rock. Bottom ones I would guess are going to be a hard sedimentary like granite, but no clue if they are granite or something else. I would guess that you'll probably find both of those pass the acid test. If they do I would boil them well before adding. But remember, as stated above, even that is no guarantee.

top two is igneous rock (lava rock) the second is either clay or marble pieces. The igneous rock could have heavy metals in it and could be bad.

thanks for your answers. still confused! just to let u know the top two pics are the same rocks as the bottom pic. just taken from further away, rocks turned over and with a flash on the camera.

another reason not to use that rock is the most FW tanks have acid water..PH lower then 7.0 which will make the rocks leach whatever is in it.

Back
Top Bottom