Beach sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went on vacation to Turks and caicos, and the sand is incredible. Can I place it in my tank? If I rinse the snot out of it?

Darn. Thanks though! :) could I possibly boil it? Or is that impossible.

Darn. Thanks though! :) could I possibly boil it? Or is that impossible.

Here's the main issue ... what kind of sand is it? Silica Sand or carbonate sand? Silica Sand would not affect the water at all ... but Carbonate sand (usually white / pinkish) would alter your pH.

Still I agree with bruinsbro1997 ... you don't know what's been dumped on that sand over the years. Better to skip it ... Boiling could clean it up ... but the only way you'd know is by putting it in the tank. No practical way to test it before hand.

Better to get PFS .... it may not be as white as the sand on the Turks but it's aquarium safe (silica sand). Generally you can just rinse PFS in a pillowcase under a running shower to get the dust off ... otherwise it will cloud the water. PFS itself is coarse enough to just sink.

You could put it in a rubbermaid container and fill it with water and test it for a while o see if it's safe but I really don't think it's a good idea because if it's silica, algae feeds on that and it will cause many algae blooms in the future. That Is also why you can't use playsand. The best sand IMO for fresh is tahition moonsand. It comes in black and white. For saltwater I would use plain old aragonite sand.

My main question is for what type of aquarium?????? Freshwater or saltwater?? If it is for salt you need to make sure it's no Silica Sand! As that will only help feed algae. Well not as much algae but diatoms LOVE SILICATE.
carbonate sand , will give you a higher PH, so it's good for brackish water or saltwater. But i would also be worried about the bacteria that grows in that sand and wether it's compatible with the fish you are putting in. Hope that helps a bit :)

i say go for it...obviously youll need to filter/strain/clean the ever lovin daylights out of it... and even perhaps test soak it first...but being able to use sand from those places is too good of a storypiece and experience to pass up... just think if you do use it, everytime you see the tank, itll remind you of that place...(wish i woulda grabbed some sand from cancun)

I was so funny. I had my water bottles and walking up and down the beach putting sand in them. And this sand was fine, like powder fine. And I have to admit, sand in a fish tank scares me lol. >.<

lol i bet, and i used to bring sand home from random beaches too..people thought i was crazy... just make sure its not illegal to take it...some places will actually arrest and fine you for taking sand..

It wasn't illegal. Also got a few conchs home too! Amazing things they are.

I was contemplating doing that at oc Maryland but the sand is too coarse and there is a lot of shells and cigarette butts..

I was thinking.. If you found a lake with sand, if there are any, that would probably be usable. Because if the sand is good for the fish there, why not in a much cleaner tank?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Boil it? I have never heard of boiling beach sand. How do you even boil sand? You should wait for the experts to chime in on that one...

I was jut playing devils advocate. I really wouldn't know. Lol

needmorecowbell said:
I was contemplating doing that at oc Maryland but the sand is too coarse and there is a lot of shells and cigarette butts..

I was thinking.. If you found a lake with sand, if there are any, that would probably be usable. Because if the sand is good for the fish there, why not in a much cleaner tank?

That would make sense, right!? Lol but Idk....

Back
Top Bottom