Beautifying bare bottom tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I was thinking that if another 5 or 10 gallon tank comes up at auction, then I think I'll buy it and get some shrimp. Last auction had complete tank setups going cheap and then various shrimp.

I would plan to do bare bottom for ease of cleaning but wanted to make it look a bit nicer. Any thoughts? I assume rocks might scratch but maybe driftwood?

I wonder if anyone ever painted the inside of the bottom,as outside will not show with water and refraction.....
I am liking leaf litter but find even fish can hide very well....
Not sure if that would even be an option,but it does still allow for cleaning bottom glass.

The painting is a good idea - take the edge of any reflection.

I'm trying to think back to the shrimp presentation and I think he mentioned he gives them mulberry leaves. Leaf litter could work - not sure how it's done? Maybe some large leaves of something could be readily removed for cleaning.

I gathered leaves from 'clean' sources this Fall and just soak them 24 hours before using.
I have used Elm,and Maple so far in my GBR tanks...
Both just local to me...
The paint I would think Krylon could work if it stuck to glass...

During my shrimp tank revamp, I housed the shrimp in a smaller bare bottom tank. For something considered low bio-load, they sure do produce a lot of waste. It's there in plain sight. The bare bottom will help when it comes time to catch them.
I have moss and fragments of subwassertang resting on the bottom of the tank as well as moss covered drift wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In my quarantine tank, which also holds a large colony of RCS (overflow from my main tank) and I keep it bare bottomed. However the left of the tank is half full of free floating Java Moss and the right hand has a very large clump of Java Fern attached to a plastic weight (it's an old plastic plant base with all the plastic greenery pulled off). The tank looks quite good and should I need to catch any fish or shrimp I just lift the plants out into a bucket. Cleaning is easy, just shove plant to one end then repeat for the other.
Any fish found to be unwell could be put into a small standby hospital tank for any treatments as I can't treat the QT with shrimp in there.
After 2 years I have not had to hospitalise a fish. I think the QT is so quiet and so full of plant that the new fish don't stress and so don't fall ill.
I might have just been lucky though!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I gathered leaves from 'clean' sources this Fall and just soak them 24 hours before using.
I have used Elm,and Maple so far in my GBR tanks...
Both just local to me...
The paint I would think Krylon could work if it stuck to glass...

I've got lots of fruit / vine plant leaves if these might suit? Trying to think of similar plants to US lol. I have pear, orange, mango, guava and several grape vines. Just a few of each but they would be straight out of the backyard. Guessing any plant with a strong scent would be out?

In my quarantine tank, which also holds a large colony of RCS (overflow from my main tank) and I keep it bare bottomed. However the left of the tank is half full of free floating Java Moss and the right hand has a very large clump of Java Fern attached to a plastic weight (it's an old plastic plant base with all the plastic greenery pulled off). The tank looks quite good and should I need to catch any fish or shrimp I just lift the plants out into a bucket. Cleaning is easy, just shove plant to one end then repeat for the other.
Any fish found to be unwell could be put into a small standby hospital tank for any treatments as I can't treat the QT with shrimp in there.
After 2 years I have not had to hospitalise a fish. I think the QT is so quiet and so full of plant that the new fish don't stress and so don't fall ill.
I might have just been lucky though!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It sounds a bit like my semi-QT which has a few floating plants and some plastic plants for a betta in there. It did have a nice green carpet of algae on the bottom but that got decimated when I had to shift the mystery snails there.

I don't mind the bare bottom tank. I thought I would hate it but so much easier to clean. It's just when it's all shiny and reflective that I don't like how it stands out.

During my shrimp tank revamp, I housed the shrimp in a smaller bare bottom tank. For something considered low bio-load, they sure do produce a lot of waste. It's there in plain sight. The bare bottom will help when it comes time to catch them.
I have moss and fragments of subwassertang resting on the bottom of the tank as well as moss covered drift wood.

Yeah, that's a good point. I was hoping not to see too much waste. It's not in a display area but still. Maybe painting would be the way to go?

Visible waste is not a big deal IMO. At least you see where it is and how well your filter is picking it up (or what needs to be siphoned). I prefer to manage it if possible rather than hide it in the substrate.

Visible waste is not a big deal IMO. At least you see where it is and how well your filter is picking it up (or what needs to be siphoned). I prefer to manage it if possible rather than hide it in the substrate.

Yes, I agree. So much waste came out of the substrate when I took it out. I think where I want to get to in setup is knowing that I can see the waste if I look but a visitor would just see the shrimp.

From memory the presenter was using remineralised RO water and a chiller but I don't think I'll get that advanced.

painting bare bottom

Texture spray paint looks fantastic - speckled like real sand. And there is no refraction when the bottom is painted. I love mine. You could use Cholla wood for shrimp maybe? (I have a resin mermaid wall plaque hanging on a suction cup on the back glass in my goldfish tank LOL)

That sounds alright. Would you have a link? It's probably something different over here but will give an idea.

I sent links but they are waiting on approval. Silly me, sent them like 3 times before I figured out what was going on. :facepalm: Funny though, I am doing my little 5 gallon betta tank right now that I keep at the office. Hope "Elliot" is ok over the weekend in the garbage can. :lol: I am doing the sand bottom and a sky blue back, I have cute little cartoony beach stuff to go in, a hut that says "the Crab Shack" another hut with a palm tree and surfboards, and a sign that says "I'm Crabby". It should be cute.

I also like a bare glass . I have control over the dirth. The plants are in pots.
The problem is the appearance. (For pictures). I must make a large stone in front of the Plants and the floor is covered with Süßwassertang. Since no one can see the glass.

Arthur75 that sounds really pretty! (I looked up the 'Süßwassertang') There are lots of ways to decorate bare bottom; driftwood, driftwood with plants attached, fake stones, resin ornaments and buildings, ceramic statues. Having real plants is the biggest problem. I've seen people use clear glass containers for plants, several small matching ones as well as one large. Maybe a plant wall on the back.

The links were very handy! I used to have a nice looking algae 'meadow' on the bottom but that got decimated by mystery snails.

brand of textured paint

I will say this: I used Valspar ancient ruins stone (about $10) on my first tank and then the Rustoleum version (about $5) on the second; and the Valspar has more flecking and speckles, the Rustoleum is smoother looking and less speckling. I think the Valspar looks far better.

Back
Top Bottom