Beefheart cubes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm getting some fish that prefer foods like frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and beefheart.

My area only has a Petco nearby for food and fish. In the past I had fed bloodworm and brine shrimp.

The bloodworms were San Francisco Bay brand and I have came to the conclusion they have parasites. I have had to cure fish of internal parasites multiple times. I have stopped bloodworms and stayed on brine shrimp no problems at all.

Anyone feed beefheart? Any pros or cons, parasites? Best options? Brine shrimp are fine but don't provide a whole lot of nutrition and shouldn't be the only diet option for a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive never had ab issue with san francisco bay blood worms. Ibe never had any issues with intestinal parasites. *shrug*

The beef heart is fine to use, parasite free as well. There arent really any cons that come to mind when feeding beef heart as long as its not african cichlids or oscars.

It isn't african cichlids although there is a blue ram in the tank. Any reason for concern there? Or okay?

It isn't african cichlids although there is a blue ram in the tank. Any reason for concern there? Or okay?

Africans are primarily herbivores and can't handle the protein. With Oscars, it can cause liver issues.

Beef heart also shouldn't be a staple food for any fish. Ideally you should aim to get those fish onto pellets or flakes and give more variety than beefheart and brine shrimp. Offer only pellets or flakes, thaw out a frozen brine shrimp cube and soak the pellets/flakes in the liquid to give it that scent. Eventually the fish will become hungry enough and view the pellets and flakes as food and begin eating them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Beef heart also shouldn't be a staple food for any fish. Ideally you should aim to get those fish onto pellets or flakes and give more variety than beefheart and brine shrimp. Offer only pellets or flakes, thaw out a frozen brine shrimp cube and soak the pellets/flakes in the liquid to give it that scent. Eventually the fish will become hungry enough and view the pellets and flakes as food and begin eating them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with offering solely frozen food. Just like anything else you will need a varied diet to keep your fish the healthiest

There's absolutely nothing wrong with offering solely frozen food. Just like anything else you will need a varied diet to keep your fish the healthiest

I didn't say there was anything wrong with just frozen foods. But to offer just frozen brine shrimp and frozen beefheart doesn't give a varied diet. Getting them on pellets makes it easier to encompass a balanced diet.

So what I'll be feeding is a pair of zig zag eels. Which you may or may not know almost will never eat flakes, pellets, or anything other than frozen variety of foods. So this is why I'm exploring options.. And I have staying away from bloodworms due to what I mentioned above.

So what I'll be feeding is a pair of zig zag eels. Which you may or may not know almost will never eat flakes, pellets, or anything other than frozen variety of foods. So this is why I'm exploring options.. And I have staying away from bloodworms due to what I mentioned above.

You should try Massivore tablets. My friend's zig zags go crazy for them. Plus tilapia and raw shrimp.

Oh that's interesting! I'll have to look into those. I have the hikari carnivore tablets as well.

Back
Top Bottom