Beginner fish troubles (two male swordtails)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keedee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon tank with 3 sword-tails, 1 platy and a red cherry shrimp. When I initially bought the swordtails I thought I got two females and one male to have a good balance but as it turns out one of the 'females' was just a late blooming male I think. So now I have two males and one female (the platy is also female).
Now I'm not sure what to do since the larger of the two male swords (the one I thought was female) is always chasing after the smaller one. I know you're not supposed to have 2 males so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Your Tank

I have a ten gallon tank with 3 sword-tails, 1 platy and a red cherry shrimp. When I initially bought the swordtails I thought I got two females and one male to have a good balance but as it turns out one of the 'females' was just a late blooming male I think. So now I have two males and one female (the platy is also female).
Now I'm not sure what to do since the larger of the two male swords (the one I thought was female) is always chasing after the smaller one. I know you're not supposed to have 2 males so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Hello Kee...

You have a small tank with Livebearers that will reproduce with their own and the Platy. These fish are fast breeders and in a small tank, there's no room for the females to hide or avoid the males. I would make plans for a larger tank. 30 gallons would be about right and in the mean time, drop some individual stems of some floating plants like Anacharis and Hornwort into the tank. These may provide a little hiding space for the females. Otherwise, the males will chase them to exhaustion.

Keep the water clean by changing half of it every three days or so and keep the food to a minimum so the water stays a bit cleaner.

B

Another option would be to trade in one of the males for another female. A bigger tank would be very appreciated by the fish, I'm sure. :)

Thank you,

I considered getting a larger tank and after your post I'm sure I should look more into it. A friend of mine might have an old 30 gallon I could buy for cheap.
Can I simply switch my current filter over or would I have to completely cycle that tank as well? I would really like to move these fish soon because I'm concerned for them but my ten gallon took a month and a half to cycle.
Could I move my filter over or will they be okay for the period it takes to cycle?

Yes Swordtail's can get up to about 4 inches and need around a 30 gallon you would still have to cycle the 30 gallon b/c most likely the bacteria in the 10 will be inadequate for the 30 but swapping over you 10 g filter to the 30 will greatly speed up your cycling.. could only be a couple of days to a couple of weeks.. Of course make sure your water in the 30 is similar to the 10 temp and dechlorinated so you don't kill the bacteria

but running your 10g filter on the 30 would be a great idea.. but probably should not be your only source of filtration.. depending on what filter you have you could pick up an aqua clear 50 and also keep the 10g filter on their also after your tank has cycled.. That way when you Need to QT new fish or need A hospital tank the 10 would be ready to go thus not having to worry about the high ammonia levels in the qt tank.. just would be cautious with adding back to main tank if due to infection!! good luck

Thank you,

I considered getting a larger tank and after your post I'm sure I should look more into it. A friend of mine might have an old 30 gallon I could buy for cheap.
Can I simply switch my current filter over or would I have to completely cycle that tank as well? I would really like to move these fish soon because I'm concerned for them but my ten gallon took a month and a half to cycle.
Could I move my filter over or will they be okay for the period it takes to cycle?
Plus with a larger tank you have more options for a wider range of fish! and not not as much maintenance as the 10! so you can jus:popcorn: and watch the :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom